The C/C++ incompatibilities that cause most real problems are not subtle. Most are easily caught by compilers.
This section gives examples of C code that is not C++ :
1) In C, functions can be defined using a syntax that optionally specifies argument types after the list of arguments:
Output: 8 9
Error in C++ :- a and b was not declared in this scope
2) In C and in pre-standard versions of C++, the type specifier defaults to int.
Error in C++ :- a does not name a type
3) In C, a global data object may be declared several times without using the extern specifier. As long as at most one such declaration provides an initializer, the object is considered defined only once.
Error in C++ :- Redefinition of int a
4) In C, a void* may be used as the right-hand operand of an assignment to or initialization of a variable of any pointer type.
Error in C++ :- Invalid conversion of void* to int*
5) In C, an array can be initialized by an initializer that has more elements than the array requires.
Error in C++ :- Initializer-string for array of chars is too long
6) In C, a function declared without specifying any argument types can take any number of arguments of any type at all. Click here to know more about this.
Error in C++ :- Too many arguments to function 'void fun()'
- Is it fine to write “void main()” or “main()” in C/C++?
- Difference between “int main()” and “int main(void)” in C/C++?
- Output of C++ programs | Set 24 (C++ vs C)
This article is contributed by Sakshi Tiwari. If you like GeeksforGeeks (We know you do!) and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Dividing a Large file into Separate Modules in C/C++, Java and Python
- How to delete a range of values from the List using Iterator
- How to create a List with Constructor in C++ STL
- C program to store Student records as Structures and Sort them by Name
- How to delete last element from a List in C++ STL
- Can C++ reference member be declared without being initialized with declaration?
- Finding Floor and Ceil of a Sorted Array using C++ STL
- Some useful C++ tricks for beginners in Competitive Programming
- Replace each node with its Surpasser Count in Linked List
- Comparison of Java with other programming languages
- Print multiples of Unit Digit of Given Number
- Similarities and Differences between Ruby and C language
- Similarities and Differences between Ruby and C++
- Program to copy the contents of one array into another in the reverse order