Four boys are playing a game with a ball. In each turn, the player (who has the ball currently) passes it to a different player randomly. Bob always starts the game. The task is to find in how many ways the ball will come back to Bob after N passes.
Input: N = 3
Here are all the possible ways:
Bob -> Boy1 -> Boy2 -> Bob
Bob -> Boy1 -> Boy3 -> Bob
Bob -> Boy2 -> Boy1 -> Bob
Bob -> Boy2 -> Boy3 -> Bob
Bob -> Boy3 -> Boy1 -> Bob
Bob -> Boy3 -> Boy2 -> Bob
Input: N = 10
Approach: Let the number of sequences that get back to Bob after N passes are P(N). The are two cases, either pass N – 2 is to Bob or it is not. Note that Bob can’t have the ball at (N – 1)th pass because then he won’t have the ball at the Nth pass.
- Case 1: If pass N – 2 is to Bob then the pass N – 1 can be to any of the other 3 boys. Thus, the number of such sequences is 3 * P(N – 2).
- Case 2: If pass N – 2 is not to Bob then pass N – 1 is to one of the 2 boys other than Bob and the one who got the ball in hand. So, substitute Bob for the receiver of pass N – 1, and get a unique N – 1 sequence. So, the number of such sequences are 2 * P(N – 1).
Hence the recurrence relation will be P(N) = 2 * P(N – 1) + 3 * P(N – 2) where P(0) = 1 and P(1) = 0.
After solving the recurrence relation, P(N) = (3N + 3 * (-1N)) / 4
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Ways to choose balls such that at least one ball is chosen
- Number of ways in which an item returns back to its initial position in N swaps in array of size K
- Python | Catching the ball game
- Find the position of box which occupies the given ball
- Puzzle | Weight of Heavy Ball
- Find out the correct position of the ball after shuffling
- Find total no of collisions taking place between the balls in which initial direction of each ball is given
- Back-off Algorithm for CSMA/CD
- Python | Ways to split a string in different ways
- Back-Face Detection Method
- LSTM - Derivation of Back propagation through time
- back driver method - Selenium Python
- PyQt5 QCommandLinkButton - Setting Default Cursor Back
- How to move back and forward in History using Selenium Python ?
- PyQt5 QCalendarWidget - Making Cursor Shape back to normal
- Deep Neural net with forward and back propagation from scratch - Python
- Minimum steps to come back to starting point in a circular tour
- Write Through and Write Back in Cache
- 7 different ways to Add Two Numbers in C/C++
- Count number of ways to get Odd Sum
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.