In today’s world computer has become an integral part of the business sector for professional activities not only for professional activities but for personal activities also. As technologies have evolved networking came into the picture and slowly from initial wired network technology we moved to this wireless network technology. Now if we will think then we can know that networking impacts everything.
Computer Network is an interconnection between computers or we can say computer network is group of computers linked to each other which enables one computer to communicate with another computer. It acts as basis of communication in Information Technology (IT). It is system of connected computing devices and shares information and resources between them. The devices in network are connected by communication links (wired/wireless) and share data by Data Communication System.
There are several types of computer networks are there, typical differences in between different types of computer networks lies in the geographical areas they serve and their core purpose.
An example of computer network includes let us think about classroom and in class, two friends are there with their own laptops, but communication between two processes is established even if the two laptops are physically separated means they are in computer network.
Another example may be to let us think about our college office suppose there are four computers and each computer generates some print jobs daily. Without networking four computers needs four separate printers, one printer for each computer to meet print requirement. But actually it is not if we will see all four computers are connected to only one printer with the help of networking. Let us keep word computer network away for some time and think about Internet then only we can know what is the need of internet nowadays and how much important it is for our life.
Starting from day to the end of the day everyone uses Internet for their work and this internet is nothing but vast network that connects computers all over the world. So now I think we have understood importance of computer networks in our daily life. Computer networking has its various functionalities, goals, and advantages and disadvantages with it but importance of it is truly unique. Let us go into little bit detail and know about importance of computer networks to great extent.
Importance of Computer Networking :
In the world of Information Technology (IT) information is building block for effective communication. Communication is medium that helps us to drive our day to day professional and personal operations. Where computer networking acts as base of everything as the best and most important IT solutions. Below is list of points that we do with the help of computer networks, or things that we get benefited with the help of computer networks or it has become possible or effective due to computer network. Let us know all points and after that, we can understand importance of computer networking.
- Provides best way of business communication.
- Streamline communication.
- Cost-effective resource sharing.
- Improving storage efficiency and volume.
- Cut costs on software.
- Cut costs on hardware.
- Utilizes Centralized Database.
- Increase in efficiency.
- Optimize convenience and flexibility.
- Allows File sharing.
- sharing of peripherals and internet access.
- Network gaming.
- Voice over IP (VoIP).
- Media Center Server.
- Centralize network administration, meaning less IT support.
- Allowing information sharing.
- Supporting distributed processing.
- User communication.
- Overcoming geographic separation.
In general, we can see “Communication” and “Sharing”, that is all networking is about in simple terms. It enables everything that we do today. In the current scenario, the business would not work without computer networking and our personal and social life will also feel like it has been stopped.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Basics of Computer Networking
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer Networking
- OSI Model Full Form in Computer Networking
- MAN Full Form in Computer Networking
- TCP/IP in Computer Networking
- Importance of Sudo GATE CS Test Series
- Importance of GATE CSE for tier 3 College Students
- Let's experiment with Networking
- Unknown facts of Networking
- Introduction to basic Networking terminology
- Software defined Networking
- Top 5 Highest Paying Jobs in Networking
- Top 5 Career Domains in Networking
- What is APPN(Advanced Peer to Peer Networking)?
- Intent Based Networking (IBN)
- Cloud Networking
- Software-defined Networking (SDN) Controller
- Fundamentals of Virtual Networking
- Computer Organization | Performance of Computer
- Differences between Computer Architecture and Computer Organization
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.