How to Implement stack using a priority queue(using min heap)?.
Asked In: Microsoft, Adobe.
In priority queue, we assign priority to the elements that are being pushed. A stack requires elements to be processed in Last in First Out manner. The idea is to associate a count that determines when it was pushed. This count works as a key for the priority queue.
So the implementation of stack uses a priority queue of pairs, with the first element serving as the key.
See Below Image to understand Better
Below is C++ implementation of the idea.
3 2 1
Now, as we can see this implementation takes O(log n) time for both push and pop operations. This can be slightly optimized by using fibonacci heap implementation of priority queue which would give us O(1) time complexity for push operation, but pop still requires O(log n) time.
This article is contributed by Mr. Somesh Awasthi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Priority Queue using Binary Heap
- Heap and Priority Queue using heapq module in Python
- Difference between Binary Heap, Binomial Heap and Fibonacci Heap
- Why is Binary Heap Preferred over BST for Priority Queue?
- Priority Queue using Queue and Heapdict module in Python
- Difference between Circular Queue and Priority Queue
- Implement a stack using single queue
- Implement Stack and Queue using Deque
- Stack and Queue in Python using queue Module
- Check if a queue can be sorted into another queue using a stack
- Heap Sort for decreasing order using min heap
- Priority Queue using Linked List
- Priority Queue using doubly linked list
- Implementation of Non-Preemptive Shortest Job First using Priority Queue
- Huffman Coding using Priority Queue
- Find the K closest points to origin using Priority Queue
- Convert min Heap to max Heap
- Difference between Min Heap and Max Heap
- Priority Queue | Set 1 (Introduction)
- Applications of Priority Queue