itoa function converts integer into null-terminated string. It can convert negative numbers too. The standard definition of itoa function is give below:-
The third parameter base specify the conversion base. For example:- if base is 2, then it will convert the integer into its binary compatible string or if base is 16, then it will create hexadecimal converted string form of integer number.
If base is 10 and value is negative, the resulting string is preceded with a minus sign (-). With any other base, value is always considered unsigned.
itoa(1567, str, 10) should return string "1567" itoa(-1567, str, 10) should return string "-1567" itoa(1567, str, 2) should return string "11000011111" itoa(1567, str, 16) should return string "61f"
Individual digits of the given number must be processed and their corresponding characters must be put in the given string. Using repeated division by the given base, we get individual digits from least significant to most significant digit. But in the output, these digits are needed in reverse order. Therefore, we reverse the string obtained after repeated division and return it.
Base:10 1567 Base:10 -1567 Base:2 11000011111 Base:8 3037 Base:16 61f
This article is contributed by Neha Mahajan. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How to implement Min Heap using STL?
- Implement Your Own sizeof
- How to implement our own Vector Class in C++?
- Using class to implement Vector Quantities in C++
- How to implement user defined Shared Pointers in C++
- Implement your own tail (Read last n lines of a huge file)
- How to iterate over the elements of an std::tuple in C++
- How to access private/protected method outside a class in C++
- lvalues references and rvalues references in C++ with Examples
- Difference between cout and std::cout in C++
- C++ program to check whether a String is a Pangram or not
- Difference between pair in Multiset and Multimap in C++ STL
- How does Volatile qualifier of C works in Computing System
- How to use unordered_map efficiently in C++