Impacts of Artificial Intelligence in everyday life
When we talk about Artificial Intelligence, it’s easy to imagine some dystopian science fiction future where robots have taken over the world and enslaved us. But AI is actually a way to enable people to accomplish more by collaborating with smart software.
We need to think of it as putting a more human face on technology: Technology that can learn from the vast amounts of data that are available in the modern world; Technology that can understand our kind of language and respond in kind; Technology that can see and interpret the world the way that we do.
Let us look at some scenarios where Technology can play a huge part in our lives :
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Machine Learning Concepts with the Machine Learning Foundation Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Imagine if we could search our surroundings in the same way we search the web. Using existing cameras and advances in AI, we can now find things and people in the real world, in real time and take action to improve safety and well-being. When a dangerous spill occurs in a chemical plant, cameras recognize the incident, information about the spill is instantly shared with the people who need it the most enabling them to protect other employees from coming in contact with the hazard, and clean it up.
- This technology can also help keep people safer in hospitals. Patients recovering from heart surgery are limited to how much they should exert themselves. When someone exceeds the prescribed level of activity, a nurse is alerted, the location of the closest wheelchair is identified so that the nurse can quickly get the patient shifted and keep safe.
- This technology is also useful in an environment like a construction site where specialized tools needed by people are spread out, sometimes across multiple floors. Using cameras already in place, this technology can identify a specific tool as well as the closest authorized person who can deliver it saving everyone’s time and keeping the workflow moving. With AI the digital and physical worlds have come together to make everyone more safe, secure, and productive.
- When using smartphone we interact with AI from the obvious features such as the built-in smart assistants (Alexa, Siri) to not so obvious ones such as the portrait mode (Google Pixel 2) in the camera. With Social Media becoming non-separable part of today’s life, the feeds that we see in our timeline to the notifications that we receive from these apps everything is being curated by AI, impacting most of the decisions we make. The recommended videos section on Youtube or Netflix has become so good at knowing our tastes because AI is playing a big role in making decisions for us.
- Whenever we use Google/Apple Maps for navigating or calling an Uber or booking a flight ticket, we are using AI. AI is behind many of Google’s products and is a big priority for the company. The banking and finance industry heavily relies on artificial intelligence for things like customer service, fraud protection, chatbots, investment.
- Spam filters in our email inbox and Smart email categorization that we experience with Gmail are AI-powered. E-commerce web application sites use AI neural networks to quickly return a wide list of the most relevant products as well as personalized recommendations on the home page, bottom of item pages and through email to increase their revenue tremendously.
- Brain.fm uses extensive research and trained professionals to produce music written and performed by AI. Receptiviti.ai allows us to analyze the psychology, personality and decision-making style of an individual by inputting a block of text, such as an email or blog post. Clarke.ai is an AI bot that dials into our conferences calls and does all the note taking work for us. Causal chess players regularly use AI-powered chess engines to analyze their games and practice tactics. AI-based Australian AgTech business firm The Yields in association with Microsoft takes microclimate sensing data and combines it with predictive modeling to help farmers improve their production and reduce their risks.
As illustrated above all of our lives are impacted by AI on a daily basis at every level. Artificial Intelligence became the most important part of our daily life. Our life is changed by AI because this technology is used in a wide area of day to day services.