IoT deals with anything particularly related to the Internet. It is just like the extension of the Internet in the devices which we use daily. Aim of IoT is basically knowledge management, i.e to utilize a lot of data available for certain useful purposes. All the electronic devices are fitted with sensors having Internet connectivity, these sensors collect the data about their surroundings and communicate with each other making it possible for the device to remotely monitor and control each and every kind of data. This status is reported to the data stores where information is stored in the form of text videos or images that are then processed in analytical engines for making various deductions. Human and machine learning are the parts of analytic engines. IoT is aiming at seamless connectivity where devices constantly transform the way we live and work whether it may be a refrigerator or fitness watch everything and almost anything related to the Internet comes under IoT.
A huge amount of data is stored in the cloud and this kind of confidential business data that may be hacked by hackers can cause the company to bear huge losses in certain situations. Cloud protection is a very serious matter of concern, for hackers will exploit loopholes in software for their own benefit. There will be a considerable need of web developers and cyber experts who may handle such critical threats because in the future if IOT is very huge as more and more devices are being connected to the internet every day. Challenges with cybersecurity involve device security, data security, and protection of individual’s privacy.
- The aftermath of these cyberattacks may be very dangerous as it may lead to loss of very private and important data like bank details and passwords that may lead to various bank scams resulting in economic damage.
- Cyber-attacks also damage the reputation of companies as a trustful relationship is not possible between two companies or between the company and their customers because customers then consider the company unworthy of their trust as they could not handle their information properly resulting in further loss in customers and profits.
- If a person in charge of managing customer data has failed somehow allowing their data to be leaked, they must suffer legally.
- If the data involves information regarding people of a country and is managed by a company based in another country, things may even escalate to a level that may result in increased global tensions.
Various ways to tackle security problems are:
- Maintenance of accurate data of all IoT devices their lifecycle and characteristics which help us to prevent a certain level of risk.
- Identification of all possible software and firmware threats so that loopholes may be anticipated and corrected timely.
- Providing restricted access to data helps it to be more secure.
- The monitoring of devices can also take place that helps us to identify any malicious activity happening on a device.
- Frequent backup of data with regular updation in software can also protect us from facing potential consequences of cyber-attack.
In near future, we can see a lot of scope for web developers and cyber experts in IoT also leading to the creation of certain new job titles. The demand for such professionals would be unimaginable in the coming times for IoT plans to grow exponentially in the years ahead.
- Impact of Big Data on Bioinformatics
- Top 5 CyberSecurity Companies in 2020
- Impact of AI and ML On Warfare Techniques
- 10 Cybersecurity Tips For Entrepreneur
- Using a Reverse WHOIS API to Beef Up Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity Challenges In Digital Marketing - Take These Steps To Overcome
- How Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Will Impact Global Industries in 2020?
- Impact going to be created by Augmented Reality and Virtual reality
- 5 Reasons Why Online Learning is the Future
- The Future Of Web Development
- Best 5 Strategies to Build Better & Worthwhile Professional Relationships
- Top 5 Places to Practice Ethical Hacking
- 7 React Best Practices Every Web Developer Should Follow
- Top 10 Python Libraries for Data Science in 2020
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.