IIS Full Form
IIS stands for Internet Information Services (IIS, formerly known as Internet Information Server) IIS is a web server software package designed for Windows Server. IIS Manager console of Internet Information Services 8.5 initial release on May 30, 1995.
IIS provides a redesigned WWW architecture that can help you achieve better performance, scalability, reliability, and security for our Web sites. IIS is used to host an application over Web Server and is accessible from client systems via a web browser.
Characteristics of IIS
- Componentization: Reducing surface area is one of the most powerful ways to secure a server system.
- Extensibility: Extending IIS enables Web applications to benefit from functionality that in many cases cannot be easily provided at the application layer.
- Build custom: We can add custom features to extend or replace any existing functionality using your own or third party server components built on the new extensibility APIs.
- Database Manager: IIS Database Manager provides the ability to connect to any database on the network.
- Web Platform Installer: The best one for end website users. The web platform installer is a gallery of the popular softwares installation.
Advantages of IIS
- Secure the server by reducing the attack surface area.
- Improve performance and reduce memory footprint.
- Empower Web applications.
- Quality enhancements with lots of bug fixes.
- Application Warm-Up tech for best web performance.
Disadvantages of IIS
- Managing large IIS server configurations or multiple servers over the Internet can be slow and cumbersome.
- Not all configuration properties can be accessed in the user interface.