The below interview is one of my colleague’s who appeared and converted IIM Calcutta call. He will be referred to as P1 henceforth . The following is the transcript of the interview:
P1 enters the room.
P1 : Good Morning, Sir.
Interviewer: Good Morning.Take a seat.
P1 sits.Interviewer : So P1 right, take me through your resume.
P1: Introduces himself briefly.Tells that he had 2 years work-ex in Infosys and left the job last year.
Interviewer: Why did you leave your job?
P1: It was the right call at that moment sir.I wanted to focus on my preparation and I realized that by trying to balance my job and preparation I was not doing justice to either. It was a tough call, but I realized the potential I could reach if I focused on my preparation.Plus my family supported my decision and provided me with the mental strength to follow through.
Interviewer: Seems fair.But I cannot comprehend why you want to pursue an MBA as your profile is from IT and you seemed to be good at your job. So why pursue an MBA ?
P1 : Well Sir, I have worked in an IT company for 2 years and during that time I had been in a client facing role.It was during this time I realized how valuable interpersonal communication is and how much effect it can have on the viability and day to day functioning of a team.Also I desire to learn more about the corporate world to get a good overview of the various business functions that enable the day to day operations of a company. By obtaining an MBA I would get a good overview of the industry best practices and also would be able to build a strong peer network. So I have chosen to do an MBA.
Interviewer: OK. Give me some examples which led you to understand the value of communications in business.
P1: Its of utmost importance Sir. During my job there were multiple instances of miscommunication that led to unnecessary details and could have been averted if best practices have been followed. To be more precise, there was an instance where our manager gave our team a task and one of my team mates was not able to follow clearly. But instead of asking follow-up questions she assumed something and worked on it. It was contrary to what the manager had asked for. It was quite late when this mix-up was discovered. It led to heated discussions and unpleasant scenarios which could have been easily avoided. The loss of valuable time is one thing that pained me the most and this led me to understand the value of communication.
Interviewer: What is the one thing that you would like to improve?
P1: I want to take more conscious action to better my general health and well being sir. I understand that falling ill while at a job due to overwork or other reasons leads to loss of my competitiveness and performance.Though it cannot always be averted, minimizing the chances would led to an improved health which is very desirable.
Interviewer: Have you tried anything in this regard?
P1: I am very health conscious. I used to exercise regularly till some months prior to my CAT. I was a regular at my office gym and participated in many fitness events organised in my office. I was also concerned over my mental well being and hence participated in multiple CSR activities as I like helping people.
Interviewer: Have you gotten any other calls?
P1 : Yes Sir. I have converted SIBM-Pune, SCMHRD, NMIMS-Mumbai, XLRI and IIM-Indore, Kozhikode, and Lucknow.
Interviewer: So why IIM-C?
P1: Sir, I have an analytical bent of mind.I love solving puzzles and I believe IIM – C has the right opportunities for me in this regard.I want to pursue data analytics as a career and IIM Calcutta is the best choice I have in this regard by far.Hence IIM Calcutta is my top priority.
Interviewer: That’s nice to hear, you seem quite focused in your thoughts.That would be all. Nice talking to you.
P1 : Thank You, Sir.
RESULT : Initially waitlisted, converted in next list.
- Goldman Sachs Interview Experience | Set 23 (2+ years Experience for Java Developer Role)
- TIAA Interview Experience -Java Back Backend Developer (3+ years Experience)
- Microsoft Interview Experience (Full Time 2018 Washington DC - with 2.5 years of experience)
- Samsung R&D Bangalore Interview Experience | Lateral hire (6 month experience)
- Arcesium Interview Experience - Senior Software Engineer (3 years experience)
- Oyo Rooms Interview Experience | Set 3 (For Backend Engineer, Experience <=1yrs)
- Nagarro Interview Experience for Xamarin Developer | 3 Years Experience
- Brocade Interview Experience | Set 2 (For Software Engineer 0-2.5 Years Experience)
- Paytm Java Interview Experience( 2-4 year Experience during COVID19 )
- Nutanix Interview Experience for MTS - QA (4+ year experience) [ Language - Python ]
- Arcesium Interview Experience Software Engineer (1+ year experience)
- Arcesium Interview Experience | Set 5 (3+ years experience - Developer profile)
- Oyo Rooms Interview Experience | Set 12 (4+ experience Backend Developer)
- Walmart Lab Interview Experience | Set 7 (Off-Campus 3 Years Experience)
- Adobe Interview Experience | Computer Scientist (5 yr Experience)
- Amazon Interview Experience (SDE-1, 8 month experience, Refferal)
- Walmart Interview Experience for SDE2 | Set 19 (3.8 years experience)
- 7 Innovation Labs Interview Experience (6 Months Experience)
- Goldman Sachs Interview Experience | Set 39 (1.5 years experience)
- MindTickle Interview Experience | Off-campus | Fresher( 0-Yr Experience)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.