Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS) refers identity and access management services provided through the cloud on a subscription basis. Identity-as-a-Service is typically fully on-premises and provided via set of software and hardware means.
An identity service stores the information linked with a digital entity in a form which can be managed and queried for further utilization in electronic transactions. Major core functions of Identity Services are:
- A data stores.
- Query Engine.
- Policy Engine.
Some Distributed transaction systems like cloud computing systems and internetworks magnify the problems tackled by identity management systems by revealing a larger attack surface to an intruder than a private network does. Whether it is network congestion protection, privileged component access, or any other defined right or privilege, As the central tenet of secure network schema leads to the base of validation authorization of object on its identity. Hence, establishing identity is the key to get trust and to anything that an object seems to claim possession of.
Services which provide digital identity management as a service are classification of internetworked systems. IDaaS – Identity-as-a-Service is a FLAVor (Four Letter Acronym) of the month, which is applied to many services that are already exist. Servers that run the numerous internet domains (.COM, .ORG, .EDU, .MIL, .RU, .TV etc.) are IDaaS servers. DNS configures the identity of a domain as belonging to a group of assigned networks, linked with an owner and his information, and so forth. If the identity is configured in the form of IP number, then the metadata is another property.
Definition of an Identity –
An identity refers to a set of attributes or characteristics which make something recognizable or known. It is digital identity of an individual that is mostly concerned in computer network systems. An attribute and metadata of any object related to another object that enables an object to be identifiable is termed as Digital Identity. An identity can belong to an individual and may consist of the following:
- Things you are: Biological characteristics like gender, age etc.
- Things you know: Personal data like social security PINs etc.
- Things you have: Your fingerprint, bank account which you can access etc.
- Things you relate to: Your family and friends, beliefs and values etc.
To establish an identity, an individual might be demanded to provide a name and password, that is termed as single-factor authentication method. More secure authentication needs the use of minimum two-factor authentication. To get a multi-factor authentication, an individual might have a system which checks a biometric factor like fingerprint pattern which is unique. Multi-factor authentication needs the use of a network security or reliable services which is in the deployment of reliable services that most common IDaaS applications are employed in the cloud computing.
A lot of things has digital identity. Machine accounts and user, devices, and many other objects configure their identity in various methods. In this, identities are created and stored in the database of security domains that are the basis of any domain of network. Network interfaces which are recognized uniquely by Media Access Control (MAC) addresses, that are referred to as Ethernet Hardware Access (EHA). Network identity assign specific MAC address that enables system to be uniquely found on the network.
The manner in which a Windows provider validates installation of windows on the system of the user is known as Windows Product Activation and it establish an identification index or profile of the system, which is instructive. During activation, the following unique data components are fetched:
- PC manufacturer
- CPU type and its serial number
- BIOS checksum
- Display adapter
- RAM amount
- A 25-character software product key and product ID
- The uniquely assigned Global Unique Identifier or GUID
- Network address and its MAC address
- SCSCI and IDE adapters
- Hard drive and volume serial number
- Optical drive
- Region and language settings
Each of the above uniquely identified hardware characteristics is assigned a factor such that an overall sum can be remunerated.
- Could Computing | Service classes and system codes of conduct in IDaaS
- Service level agreements in Cloud computing
- Compliance as a Service (CaaS) in Cloud Computing
- Introduction to Microsoft Azure | A cloud computing service
- Deploying Your Web App using Azure App Service
- Service-Oriented Architecture
- Blockchain as a Service Platform - Easy to use
- Cloud Based Services
- Create a database on Relational Database Service (RDS) of Amazon Web Services(AWS)
- Components, Requirements and interoperability of IDaaS
- Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- CRM and ERP in Cloud Computing
- Types of Cloud
- Is SSL enough for Cloud Security?
- Cloud Computing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.