Identity and Access Management (IAM) manages Amazon Web Services (AWS) users and their access to AWS accounts and services. It controls the level of access a user can have over an AWS account & set users, grant permission and allows a user to use different features of AWS account. Identity and access management is mostly used to manage users, groups, roles and Access polices
The account we created to sign in Amazon web services is knows as root account and it holds all the administrative rights and has access to all parts of the account. The new user created in AWS account, by default they have no access to any services in the account & it is done with the help of IAM that the root account holder can implement access polices and grant permission to the user to access certain services.
Features of IAM:
- Shared Access to your Account:
A team of people who are working for a project together can easily share resources with the help of the shared access feature.
- Free of cost:
IAM feature of Aws account is free to use & charges are added only when you access other Amazon web services using IAM user.
- Have Centralized control over your Aws account:
Any new creation of user, groups or any form of cancellation that takes places in Aws account is controlled by you and have the control over what & how data can be accessed by the user.
- Grant permission to the user:
As root account holds of the administrative rights, user will be granted permission to Access certain services by IAM.
- Multifactor Authentication:
Additional layer of security implemented on your account by third party, a six digit number which you have to put along with your password when you log into your accounts.
- Content Management Systems - An Overview
- Understanding Digital Rights Management
- Risk Management for Information Security | Set-1
- Risk Management for Information Security | Set-2
- Integrating Risk Management in SDLC | Set 1
- Integrating Risk Management in SDLC | Set 2
- Integrating Risk Management in SDLC | Set 3
- Identity as a Service (IDaaS) as a cloud Based service
- Licenses and their management in Cloud Computing
- Session Management in HTTP
- Security Management System
- Basics of management
- What Are Cryptoasssets in Blockchain
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.