IBM Interview Experience for Associate System Engineer | On-Campus 2022
Hello everyone! I recently interviewed with IBM for the role of Associate System Engineer. The entire assessment had 3 rounds, all of which were eliminating ones. So, here is my comprehensive interview experience.
Round 1: Coding
Time: 30 minutes
- The coding round was held on 4th October 2021. We had received an email invitation for the coding round, which was held on the HackerRank platform.
- It had only 1 question and we had to solve it in half an hour. Here is the question that was asked to me.
- Validate Token: A function takes time (hh: mm) and token, both in string type, as arguments. I was to write a code in C/C++/Java/Python to check:
- If the length of the token was 3.
- If the time was before 12 noon, the first character of the token should be an alphabet, the second character should be a symbol or space, and the third character should be a number.
- If the time was after 12 noon, the first character of the token should be a number, the second character should be a symbol or space, and the third character should be an alphabet.
- The program would print “Validate token” if all conditions were met. Else, it was to display “Invalid token”.
- You can consider the following link to get a hang of the approach and solution to solve the coding problem
I was successful in passing 6 out of 7 test cases. So, I qualified for the next round and received another invitation email right after the coding round on the same day.
Round 2: Cognitive Ability
- The aim of this round was to assess our cognitive abilities. It comprised 5 entertaining games viz Shortcuts, Gridlock, Resemble, Numbubbles, and Tally Up.
- Meanwhile, we had to join a WebEx meeting where a proctor was monitoring us while we were playing the games.
- As this was also an elimination round, we were asked to wait for 10-15 minutes after completing this assessment for the results and receiving a link for further rounds upon passing the second assessment.
Round 3: English
Time: 15 minutes
- Right after completing the second round, I received the link for the English round within 15 minutes via email. We were required to answer as many questions as possible within 15 minutes. Also, this was not a proctored round.
- Finally, the online assessments were over. Around 4 hours later, the qualified students received a WebEx link for a 30-minute interview on 5th October 2021.
Round 4: Technical + HR Interview
Time: 30 minutes
Here are the questions that were asked to me:
- Tell me about yourself.
- How did you manage academics, preparation for AWS certification, and freelance content writing?
- Explain your projects.
- Did you learn AWS by yourself, or was it a part of your academics?
- Tell me about a situation where you had to choose between two options and make a risky decision.
- Describe a situation where you worked hard but could not succeed.
- What are the factors you consider when working on a client project?
- Which programming language are you comfortable with? (I answered Java)
- What is the difference between String and String Buffer?
- Explain everything about OOP.
- Tell me the high-level logic used behind mapping a name and respective ID. (Hashing was the answer)
- Suppose you have a team of 5 members and 2 of them left you due to some unavoidable reasons just before the project submission deadline. How will you respond to the situation?
- According to you, what are the differences between AWS and GCP?
- How will you react to a situation where at the moment of delivery you came across a serious problem in your project?
- Do you have any questions for me?
The interviewer was very friendly, asked me to get comfortable, and provided me with sufficient hints, wherever possible. Also, the IBM assessments were delightful unlike other tests comprising monotonous rounds like aptitude, logical reasoning, etc.