The hypot() function in C++ returns the square root of sum of square of arguments passed. It finds the hypotenuse, hypotenuse is the longest side of a right angled triangle. It is calculated by the formula :
h = sqrt(x2+y2)
where x and y are the other two sides of the triangle.
Syntax: double hypot(double x, double y); float hypot(float x, float y); long double hypot(long double x, long double y);
Input : x=3, y=4 Output :5 Input :x=9, y=10 Output :13.4536
Header File : cmath
Parameters : The hypot() takes either 2 or 3 parameters of integral or floating-point type.
1. The hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle if two arguments are passed.
2. Distance from the origin to the (x, y, x) if three arguments are passed
Exceptions or Errors
1. hypot(x, y), hypot(y, x), and hypot(x, -y) are equivalent.
2. If one of the arguments is 0, hypot(x, y) is equivalent to fabs called with the non-zero argument
3. If one of the arguments is infinite or undefined, hypot(x, y) returns undefined.
Example Application : Finding the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle given 2 of its other sides.
hypotf() function is same as the hypot function.The only difference is that the parameter and return type of the function is float type. The ‘f‘ character appended to ‘hypotf‘ stands for float and it signify the parameter type and return type of the function.
Syntax float hypotf(float x);
C++ program implementation of hypotf()
Here, variables are assigned float type otherwise type mismatch error occurs.
hypotl() function is same as the hypot function.The only difference is that the parameter and return type of the function is long double type.The ‘l‘ character appended to ‘hypotl‘ stands for long double and it signify the parameter type and return type of the function.
Syntax long double hypotl(long double x);
C++ program implementation of hypotl()
Here, variables are assigned long double type otherwise type mismatch error occurs.
Rated as one of the most sought after skills in the industry, own the basics of coding with our C++ STL Course and master the very concepts by intense problem-solving.
- Iterate over characters of a string in C++
- Difference between int (*p) and int* p?
- 3-way comparison operator (Space Ship Operator) in C++ 20
- How to generate a vector with random values in C++?
- Difference between std::set vs std::vector in C++ STL
- Vector of Maps in C++ with Examples
- Data Conversion in C++
- Order of execution in initializer list in C++
- Unusual behaviour with character pointers
- Header Guard in C++
- Can we write a print statement within if parentheses?
- If memory allocation using new is failed in C++ then how it should be handled?
- Draw an ellipse divided by straight line into two colored part in C++ Graphics
- What happens if we mix new and free in C++?
Improved By : Akanksha_Rai