Hybrid Fiber Coaxial (HFC) Access Network Management
Hybrid Fiber Coaxial (HFC) network is a technology under telecommunications technology where fiber cables and coaxial cables are used in different-different portions of a network to carry all the data or its content. It carries data like videos, music, voice, recordings, etc.
Hybrid Fiber Coaxial (HFC) Access Network Manager is formed in order to support different variety of functions related to the operation and management of an HCF access plant. It allows for monitoring of the downstream and upstream transmission paths and supports the sectionalization of faults. In any HFC system, there are majorly two types of modulations or technologies used for cable modem transportation which are :
- QPSK Technology
- QAM Technology
Techniques of Monitoring in an HFC system are :
- Monitoring Bit Error Rate (BER)
- Frame Error Rate (FER)
- Carrier-To-Noise Ratio (C/N)
Reasons due to which telephonic companies are upgrading themselves or their facilities to HFC are :
- Hybrid fiber Cables help to transfer more data at a time as it carries a huge amount of data in comparison to coaxial cables.
- HFC has higher bandwidth which helps in the interactive and efficient flow of data from the user. And that path used for transferring is called Reverse Path.
- Fibre Optic Cables are more supportable and trustable than coaxial cables because of their higher efficiency.
- HFCs are highly reliable and highly usable and can work better than coaxial cables in a changing and interactive environment.
- Fiber optic cables are more efficient and powerful for providing a connection between cable TV or phone companies which are places closer geographically.
Advantages of HFC :
- HFC provides us very high-quality performance without compromising with its cost.
- It ensures that no one has to change the currently using coaxial networks because it provides a separate connection.
- It supports a bandwidth of high frequency.
- HFC is more responsible and efficient and is highly immune to any outside noise or disruption.
Disadvantages of HFC :
- It may get damaged if anyhow lightning falls or comes in contact with the network area.
- HFC has only limited node connections and can not be increased without changing its installation process.
- It may cost more if it is installed in the local environment and will raise the overall budget.