Hungry Worm and Old Tree Riddle | Puzzle
A very hungry worm reaches a tree and eats the leaves in the following sequence:
- DAY 1: The worm eats 1 leaf
- DAY 2: TWICE( DAY 1)= 2 leaves
- DAY 3: TWICE( DAY 2)= 4 leaves
- DAY 4: TWICE( DAY 3)= 8 leaves
- and so on…..(up to 30 days)
The above eating sequence continues for 30 days and all the leaves finish on the 30th day. On which day did the worm finish exactly half of the total number of leaves?
Note: If the answer is 29, then please try again.
- In order to make the calculations simpler let’s consider the total time duration as 4 days instead of 30 days.
- DAY 1: 1 leaf
- DAY 2: 2 leaves
- DAY 3: 4 leaves
- DAY 4: 8 leaves
- All the leaves are finished on the 4th day. Therefore, the total number of leaves is (1 + 2 + 4 + 8 = 15).
- Half of the total number of leaves on the tree is (15/2 = 7.5).
- At the end of day 3, the worm can finish a total of 7 leaves.
- Therefore, exactly half of the total number of leaves on the tree can be finished only on day 4 i.e. the last day.
- Therefore, in the given riddle, where total time duration is 30 days.
- The worm finishes exactly half of the total number of leaves on Day 30 i.e. the last day.
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!