Before answering the question of how www is different from the Internet?
First, let’s understand what does Internet means ?
According to Wikipedia, the definition of the Internet is:
The Internet (a portmanteau of the interconnected network) is the global system of interconnected computer networks that uses the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide.
In simple terms, it is also known as Networks of Networks which links all devices together globally.
Is anyone in charge of the Internet?
Honestly, nobody is in charge of the Internet. The Internet is a large distributed network there is no central authority of controlling it how the packets should be routed from the networks. It makes sure everyone has an end to end connectivity Just like a phone call.
Now, let’s talk about what is the world wide web is ?
An information system on the Internet which allows documents to be connected to other documents by hypertext links, enabling the user to search for information by moving from one document to another.
World Wide Web is one of the services which is provided by the internet over HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol). It uses URL(Uniform Resource Locator) to locate file and HTML(Hypertext markup language) to display the information which can be rendered by your browser.
In analogy, we can consider the world wide web is a movie theater and the road as an internet.
Nowadays the rise in mobile computing there is a steady decline in the usage of the world wide web. Most of the world wide web services are provided as a mobile app like Gmail, Spotify, YouTube, etc. which are easily accessible to the users.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- The Internet and the Web
- Internet of Everything
- Internet and Web programming
- Introduction of 3D Internet
- Threats on Internet
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Internet and Extranet
- Internet of Things (IoT) Gateways
- Internet Relay Chat (IRC)
- Internet of Things and careers in IoT
- Difference between Wifi and Internet
- Architecture of Internet of Things (IoT)
- Difference between Internet and Intranet
- Difference between Network and Internet
- Internet Protocol Authentication Header
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Difference between Antivirus and Internet Security
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) hierarchy
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- What is IGMP(Internet Group Management Protocol)?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.