Before answering the question of how www is different from the Internet?
First, let’s understand what does Internet means ?
According to Wikipedia, the definition of the Internet is:
The Internet (a portmanteau of the interconnected network) is the global system of interconnected computer networks that uses the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide.
In simple terms, it is also known as Networks of Networks which links all devices together globally.
Is anyone in charge of the Internet?
Honestly, nobody is in charge of the Internet. The Internet is a large distributed network there is no central authority of controlling it how the packets should be routed from the networks. It makes sure everyone has an end to end connectivity Just like a phone call.
Now, let’s talk about what is the world wide web is ?
An information system on the Internet which allows documents to be connected to other documents by hypertext links, enabling the user to search for information by moving from one document to another.
World Wide Web is one of the services which is provided by the internet over HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol). It uses URL(Uniform Resource Locator) to locate file and HTML(Hypertext markup language) to display the information which can be rendered by your browser.
In analogy, we can consider the world wide web is a movie theater and the road as an internet.
Nowadays the rise in mobile computing there is a steady decline in the usage of the world wide web. Most of the world wide web services are provided as a mobile app like Gmail, Spotify, YouTube, etc. which are easily accessible to the users.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Internet of Everything
- The Internet and the Web
- Internet and Web programming
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Difference between Network and Internet
- Difference between Internet and Intranet
- Internet of Things (IoT) Gateways
- Internet of Things and careers in IoT
- Architecture of Internet of Things (IoT)
- Internet Relay Chat (IRC)
- Difference between Internet and Extranet
- Difference between Wifi and Internet
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) hierarchy
- Difference between Antivirus and Internet Security
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Header
- What is IGMP(Internet Group Management Protocol)?
- Internet of Things Based on Compressive Sensing
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.