Pseudo code is a term which is often used in programming and algorithm based fields. It is a methodology that allows the programmer to represent the implementation of an algorithm. Simply, we can say that it’s the cooked up representation of an algorithm. Often at times, algorithms are represented with the help of pseudo codes as they can be interpreted by programmers no matter what their programming background or knowledge is. Pseudo code, as the name suggests, is a false code or a representation of code which can be understood by even a layman with some school level programming knowledge.
Algorithm: It’s an organized logical sequence of the actions or the approach towards a particular problem. A programmer implements an algorithm to solve a problem. Algorithms are expressed using natural verbal but somewhat technical annotations.
Pseudo code: It’s simply an implementation of an algorithm in the form of annotations and informative text written in plain English. It has no syntax like any of the programming language and thus can’t be compiled or interpreted by the computer.
Advantages of Pseudocode
- Improves the readability of any approach. It’s one of the best approaches to start implementation of an algorithm.
- Acts as a bridge between the program and the algorithm or flowchart. Also works as a rough documentation, so the program of one developer can be understood easily when a pseudo code is written out. In industries, the approach of documentation is essential. And that’s where a pseudo-code proves vital.
- The main goal of a pseudo code is to explain what exactly each line of a program should do, hence making the code construction phase easier for the programmer.
How to write a Pseudo-code?
- Arrange the sequence of tasks and write the pseudocode accordingly.
- Start with the statement of a pseudo code which establishes the main goal or the aim.
This program will allow the user to check the number whether it's even or odd.
- The way the if-else, for, while loops are indented in a program, indent the statements likewise, as it helps to comprehend the decision control and execution mechanism. They also improve the readability to a great extent.
Example: if "1" print response "I am case 1" if "2" print response "I am case 2"
- Use appropriate naming conventions. The human tendency follows the approach to follow what we see. If a programmer goes through a pseudo code, his approach will be the same as per it, so the naming must be simple and distinct.
- Use appropriate sentence casings, such as CamelCase for methods, upper case for constants and lower case for variables.
- Elaborate everything which is going to happen in the actual code. Don’t make the pseudo code abstract.
- Use standard programming structures such as ‘if-then’, ‘for’, ‘while’, ‘cases’ the way we use it in programming.
- Check whether all the sections of a pseudo code is complete, finite and clear to understand and comprehend.
- Don’t write the pseudo code in a complete programmatic manner. It is necessary to be simple to understand even for a layman or client, hence don’t incorporate too many technical terms.
Let’s have a look at this code
And here’s the Pseudo Code for the same.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- CSS | Pseudo-classes
- Use of :even and :odd pseudo-classes with list items in CSS
- Multiplicative Congruence method for generating Pseudo Random Numbers
- Additive Congruence method for generating Pseudo Random Numbers
- How to use SVG with :before or :after pseudo element ?
- How to write a:hover in inline CSS?
- CSS | :read-write Selector
- Step by Step guide to Write your own WordPress Template
- How to write :hover condition for a:before and a:after in CSS?
- Why is Java 'write once and run anywhere'?
- Kotlin Collection Write operations
- Node.js | Buffer.write() Method
- How to read and write JSON file using Node.js ?
- Node.js | fs.write() Method
- How to write asynchronous function for Node.js ?
- How to write <dt> and <dd> element on the same line using CSS ?
- How to write backslash in Golang string?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.