Non-alphanumeric characters can be remove by using preg_replace() function. This function perform regular expression search and replace. The function preg_replace() searches for string specified by pattern and replaces pattern with replacement if found.
Input : !@GeeksforGeeks2018? Output : GeeksforGeeks2018 Input : Geeks For Geeks Output : GeeksForGeeks
int preg_match( $pattern, $replacement_string, $original_string )
Parameter: This function accepts three parameter as mentioned above and described below:
- $pattern: The pattern that is searched in the string. It must be a regular expression.
- $replacement_string: The matched pattern is replaced by the replacement_string.
- $original_string: It is the original string in which searching and replacement is done.
- After the replacement has occurred, the modified string will be returned.
- If no matches are found, the original string remains unchanged.
Method 1: The regular expression ‘/[\W]/’ matches all the non-alphanumeric characters and replace them with ‘ ‘ (empty string).
$str = preg_replace( '/[\W]/', '', $str);
In the regular expression W is a meta-character that is preceded by a backslash (\W) that acts to give the combination a special meaning. It means a combination of non-alphanumeric characters.
Method 2: The regular expression ‘/[^a-z0-9 ]/i’ matches all the non-alphanumeric characters and replace them with ‘ ‘ (null string).
$str = preg_replace( '/[^a-z0-9 ]/i', '', $str);
In the regular expression:
- i: It is used for case insensitive.
- a-z: It is used for all lowercase letters, don’t need to specify A-Z because of i (case insensitive) already mentioned in the statement.
- 0-9: It is used to match all digits.
- How to remove all non-printable characters in a string in PHP?
- Remove a cookie using PHP
- D3.js | d3.map.remove() Function
- D3.js | d3.set.remove() function
- PHP | Ds\Map remove() Function
- p5.js | remove() Function
- PHP Ds\Set remove() Function
- How to get the last n characters of a PHP string?
- PHP | Different characters in the given string
- Remove new lines from string in PHP
- PHP | Ds\Vector remove() Function
- PHP | Ds\Sequence remove() Function
- How to remove extension from string in PHP?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.