Phone dialer is an activity available with Android operating system to call a number. Usually such activity may or may not have an EditText, for taking number as input, and a Call button. When the user press the Call button, it invokes the dialer app activity. Use of ‘tel:’ prefix is recommended, else java.lang.IllegalStateException will be thrown. Action_Dial doesn’t require any permission.
In order to make a direct call without switching into dialer activity you need to add Intent.ACTION_CALL in place of Intent.ACTION_DIAL.
In AndroidManifest.xml, include the below permission to directly call without opening in a dialer. To make a call through open in a dialer, below permission is not needed.
- Android | How to open Camera through Intent and display captured image
- Android | AdMob Banner Ads for Android Studio
- Android | How to Request permissions in Android Application?
- Android | Android Application File Structure
- Android | How to add Radio Buttons in an Android Application?
- Android | AdMob Interstitial Ads for Android Studio
- Android | Starting with first app/android project
- Android | Running your first Android app
- Java Program to open the command prompt and insert commands
- Android | App to Add Two Numbers
- How to use WebView in Android
- How to use CheckBox in Android
- Android | 8.0 Oreo
- Android | RecyclerView
- Layouts in Android UI Design
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.