Hi guys, most of us at some instance of time face a problem about how to start something for a minor or major project. Many of us wish to make a website based project but do not know how to proceed. To assist all my friends, today I’ll walk you through the process of installing and getting acquainted with WordPress environment. Below I give step by step process along with the screenshots to make a website using WordPress. Just follow them and you are done!!
- Installing local server :Xampp
Go to the link :https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html, choose your platform (windows / linux, mac) and click on download.
- After installing Xampp , go to programs and run it, you should see something like this.
In case you’re facing problems with this step , chances are that your port no. 80 is being used by other application (for example : Skype). To resolve this issue, click on config in front of Apache, locate the line “Listen 80” and change it some other value, say “Listen 1234”.
- Now that your localhost is running , check it by typing “localhost” in your browser url (if you changed the port number in 3rd step , then type “localhost:1234” whenever i refer to “localhost”). You should see the following screen.
- Goto phpMyAdmin located under “Tools” in bottom left corner. This is your MySQLdatabase, here all the information of your website (comments , posts , username , password, etc.) are stored. You can run SQL queries here, make tables, etc.
- Till now we’ve configured our localhost, now lets move to the next step of installing WordPress, download it from here : https://wordpress.org/download/
- Now go to C:\xampp\htdocs and paste the zip file you downloaded in step 6 here.
- Extract the zip file in the htdocs folder and you should see a new folder named “wordpress” created.
- Go to your browser and type “localhost/phpmyadmin/” and click on New
Write any name you want under “Database name” and click on create. Remember this name, this is the name of your site’s database.
- Type the url “http://localhost/wordpress/” in your browser and you should get this screen.
- Click on “Lets go” . On the next page fill the following details:
Database name : The database you created in step 9.
Username : root
Password : Leave it empty.
Database Host : localhost
Table prefix : Its “wp_” by default, you can change it whatever you want, but you can’t keep it empty.
Click on submit.
- On the next screen just fill in all the details like site name, username, password, email. Remember the username and password you choose are the Admin login credentials, so keep the password secure and strong, anyways you can change it later if you want. Click on “install wordpress”.
- On the next screen you’ll be asked to login using the credentials you created in step 13, just do it to make sure everything is working.
- That’s it , you are good to go !
Go to the url “http://localhost/wordpress/index.php” and you’ll see a default homepage something similar to this
- Enter the url “http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/” and you’ll see the admin dashboard similar to this , here you can customize your website , about which we will be learning in “How to make a website using WordPress (Part – 2)” .
Thank You and catch you soon !!
Article by Jai Sharma, an active blogger from National Institute of Technology, Warangal having keen interest in writing about web development articles , wordpress tutorials etc.Currently he’s working as the technical head at www.ptbn.org. You can reach him at : jaisharma639.gmail.com
If you also wish to showcase your blog here, please see GBlog for guest blog writing on GeeksforGeeks.
- How to make a website using WordPress (Part – 2)
- Making your WordPress Website More Secure
- How to Launch a WordPress Website using Amazon EC2 Server ?
- Step by step guide to make your first Wordpress Plugin
- WordPress | Introduction
- How to backup WordPress database ?
- Difference between Bootstrap and Wordpress
- WordPress Themes And Plugins
- How to perform wordpress security auditing?
- How cookies are used in a website?
- Why do you need a Responsive Website
- How to host a website on IBM Cloud
- Making a QR code for a website
- 7 Best SEO Strategies for Ecommerce Website
- What is the Difference between Website and Web Portal