How to make a Twitter Bot in Python?
Twitter is an American microblogging and social networking service on which users post and interact with messages known as “tweets“. In this article we will make a Twitter Bot using Python.
- Retweets the tweets with particular #hastags.
- Favourites/Likes the tweets with particular #hashtags.
- Follows the users who tweets with particular #hashtags.
- Can also DM the users if granted with the permission.
For all this we will need a Python library called Tweepy for accessing the Twitter API. We can install tweepy in three ways:
1. Using pip command
$ pip install tweepy
2. Clone the GitHub repository of tweepy
$ git clone https://github.com/tweepy/tweepy.git $ cd tweepy $ pip install
3. Cloning the repository directly
$ pip install git+https://github.com/tweepy/tweepy.git
Sign up for Twitter Developer Account
- Sign up for a separate account for your Twitter Bot and then apply for Twitter Developer Account following this link https://developer.twitter.com/en/apply-for-access
- Enter the necessary details and await for your mail confirmation. Once confirmed, click on Create an App option.
- Enter the necessary details to generate the secret key and access tokens.
- Copy the keys and keep them safe.
Developing the Twitter Bot
Make a file twitterbot_retweet.py and paste the following code.
Now make another file to specify what should your bot do. Name it config.py
Edit the #hashtag according to your choice and the like or follow option to either True or False.
Next make a file credentials.py and paste your access tokens carefully in between the single quotes ‘ ‘.
Run the twitterbot_retweet.py file from your Command Prompt/Terminal with this command.
$ python twitterbot_retweet.py
And it works!!