How to make a carousel using CSS ?
In this article, we will be going to learn how to make a carousel using plain CSS without using any other library or framework. A carousel is a slideshow that contains a collection of rotating banners/images. Usually, you can see carousels on the home page of a website. It makes your website more attractive.
We are going to make a 4 image carousel that can be controlled by buttons places at bottom of the carousel. There is a text at the center of the carousel which is fixed and can’t move with movement in the image. The images are moving after a fixed interval of time in the background.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important HTML concepts with the Web Design for Beginners | HTML course.
We are using HTML as a basic structure for our carousel and CSS to decorate it. Below is the step-by-step procedure that we will be going to follow.
Step 1: Firstly, we add HTML code. It contains the main container and inside a container, there are two things:
- the main heading of the web page
- is a div with class content containing the whole carousel structure.
Step 2: Now, we will add the following two parts in the content div:
- The first part is a div with class carousel-content. The content (heading and subheading) is placed in the center of the carousel. This will remain static in the carousel.
- The second part is a div with a class slideshow. All the moving parts of the carousel will be inside this div.
Step 3: The slideshow div contains the following elements:
- Four carousel control buttons
- a slideshow wrapper that wraps all 4 carousel images.
Then, we add CSS for styling our carousel and to make the carousel responsive for all screen sizes.
NOTE: We will use "rem" and "%" units as much as possible to achieve responsiveness easily.
Below is the implementation of the above approach.
Output: From this, we can see that the carousel is looking beautiful for all screen sizes i.e. mobile, tablet, and laptop screens. Do modifications to the above code according to your choice, include it in your project, and have fun building awesome projects.