The ZSH or Z Shell is a Unix based shell or can be called as a command-line interpreter. It is an extended version of the good old Bourne shell (sh). It does have some features form Bash with lots of added features like automatic cd (Change Directory), spell check, path expansion, and many more. It also supports plugins and themes.
Installing ZSH on Ubuntu
Step 1: First, we will have to update the repository by running the following command:
sudo apt-get update
Step 2: Now we will install the zsh by running the following command:
sudo apt-get install zsh -y
Step 3: Now we have to make the zsh as our default shell using the following command:
chsh -s /usr/bin/zsh
Note: You will need to enter your password for the user after running the command.
Step 4: Now that we have set the zsh as our default shell, we have to configure it. So, we will run zsh in the terminal to execute it. This will show the Z shell configuration.
Step 5: Here you can do what is specified by typing the character given at the start of every line. You can quit, go in the main menu and configure the shell your self or you can go for the recommended configuration for the shell by pressing 2, which is what we have done.
Step 6: After this, the Z shell is ready to use. But the shell is not changed from bash to zsh.
Step 7: You will have to logout of your system and log back in to see the change. Open terminal and you should see the Z shell started. To check run the following command:
As you can see, it showed /usr/bin/zsh, which means it is successfully set as the default shell.
- How to Install VirtualBox in Linux?
- How to Install Linux on Windows PowerShell Subsystem?
- install command in Linux with examples
- How to Install Katoolin on Linux Mint?
- How to Install Lazy Script in Kali Linux?
- How to Install and Configure Apache Subversion(SVN) In Linux?
- How to Install and Use Hydra in Linux?
- How to Install TeamViewer on Linux/Ubuntu?
- How to Install Kali Linux VirtualBox Image?
- How to Install Kali Linux in VirtualBox?
- Linux Virtualization : Linux Containers (lxc)
- Difference Between Arch Linux and Kali Linux
- How to Install Chrome in Ubuntu?
- How to Install and Configure Docker in Ubuntu?
- How to Install and Configure Fish Shell in Ubuntu?
- How to Install Ulauncher in Ubuntu?
- How to enable PHP's openssl extension to install Composer ?
- How to install Ubuntu on VirtualBox?
- How to Install Oracle Database 11g on Windows?
- How to Install and Configure Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.