Pandas in Python is a package that is written for data analysis and manipulation. Pandas offer various operations and data structures to perform numerical data manipulations and time series. Pandas is an open-source library that is built over Numpy libraries. Pandas library is known for its high productivity and high performance. Pandas is popular because it makes importing and analyzing data much easier.
Pandas programs can be written on any plain text editor like notepad, notepad++, or anything of that sort and saved with a .py extension. To begin with, writing Pandas Codes and performing various intriguing and useful operations, one must have Python installed on their System. This can be done by following the step by step instructions provided below:
What if Python already exists? Let’s check
To check if your device is pre-installed with Python or not, just go to the Command line(search for cmd in the Run dialog( + R).
Now run the following command:
If Python is already installed, it will generate a message with the Python version available.
Downloading and Installing Pandas
Pandas can be installed in multiple ways on Windows and on Linux. Various different ways are listed below:
Python Pandas can be installed on Windows in two ways:
- Using pip
- Using Anaconda
Install Pandas using pip
PIP is a package management system used to install and manage software packages/libraries written in Python. These files are stored in a large “on-line repository” termed as Python Package Index (PyPI).
Pandas can be installed using PIP by the use of the following command:
pip install pandas
Install Pandas using Anaconda
Anaconda is open-source software that contains Jupyter, spyder, etc that are used for large data processing, data analytics, heavy scientific computing. If your system is not pre-equipped with Anaconda Navigator, you can learn how to install Anaconda Navigator on Windows or Linux?
Steps to Install Pandas using Anaconda Navigator:
Step 1: Search for Anaconda Navigator in Start Menu and open it.
Step 2: Click on the Environment tab and then click on the create button to create a new Pandas Environment.
Step 3: Give a name to your Environment, e.g. Pandas and then choose a python version to run in the environment. Now click on the Create button to create Pandas Environment.
Step 4: Now click on the Pandas Environment created to activate it.
Step 5: In the list above package names, select All to filter all the packages.
Step 6: Now in the Search Bar, look for ‘Pandas‘. Select the Pandas package for Installation.
Step 7: Now Right Click on the checkbox given before the name of the package and then go to ‘Mark for specific version installation‘. Now select the version that you want to install.
Step 8: Click on the Apply button to install the Pandas Package.
Step 9: Finish the Installation process by clicking on the Apply button.
Step 10: Now to open the Pandas Environment, click on the Green Arrow on the right of package name and select the Console with which you want to begin your Pandas programming.
Pandas Terminal Window:
To install Pandas on Linux, just type the following command in the Terminal Window and press Enter. Linux will automatically download and install the packages and files required to run Pandas Environment in Python:
pip3 install pandas
- Python - Install Paramiko on Windows and Linux
- How to install requests in Python - For windows, linux, mac
- How to Install SQLObject package on Windows and Linux?
- How to download and install Python Latest Version on Windows
- Guide to Install MongoDB with Python | Windows
- How to install Python on Windows?
- How to install OpenCV for Python in Windows?
- How to install Python Pycharm on Windows?
- How to Install Python Tensorflow in Windows?
- Convert Python Code to a Software to Install on Windows Using Inno Setup Compiler
- How to Install CMake for Windows in Python?
- How to install PIP on Windows ?
- How to install Anaconda on windows?
- How to install Jupyter Notebook in Windows?
- How to Install Oracle Database 11g on Windows?
- How to download and install Python Latest Version on Linux
- How to install Python on Linux?
- How to install Python Pycharm on Linux?
- How to install OpenCV for Python in Linux?
- Creating Python Virtual Environment in Windows and Linux
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.