How to Install iPython on Linux?
Ipython is the famous toolkit that provides the interactive Python shell and also provides the Jupyter Kernel to work with Python code on the Jupyter notebook environment. Jupyter notebook is a web application that is used to create documents that contain executable code, formulas, etc. IPython is a robust Python shell that handles proper indentation, tab completion, syntax highlighting, etc. very effectively. It also supports session login, dynamic object introspection, macro system, etc.
Features of IPython:
- It runs native shell commands.
- It provides syntax highlighting.
- It views object attributes with tab completion.
- It provides automatic indentation.
- It makes more easier to use previously used commands in the current session.
- It accesses the system shell with a user-extensible system.
- It can easily embedded in other Python codes and GUIs.
- It provides a very good configuration system so that it can easily switch between different setups.
So, in this article, we will be exploring the steps to install the Ipython package on the Linux Operating system.
Installing iPython package on Linux using PIP
To install the iPython package in Linux we have to follow the following steps:
Step 1: First of all, we will install Python3(if not available) on the Linux system with the help of the following command:
sudo apt-get install python3
Step 2: Now, install the pip module which is required to install and manage the packages in Python3 with the help of the following command:
sudo apt install python3-pip
Step 3: Now, install the iPython package by using the following command.
sudo pip3 install ipython
Verifying iPython package installation on Linux using PIP
To verify if the iPython package has been successfully installed in your system run the below command in Terminal:
python3 -m pip show ipython
You’ll get the below message if the installation is complete successfully without any error:
Please Login to comment...