Octave is open-source, free available for many of the platforms. It is actually a High-level Language. It comes up with a text interface along with an experimental graphical interface. It is also used for various Machine Learning algorithms for solving various numeric problems. You can say that it is similar to MATLAB but slower than MATLAB.
We can easily solve operations like Matrix Multiplication, Transpose of a Matrix, or any other operation on Vector and Matrix very easily with just a few lines of code.
Steps to Install Octave on Linux
Step 1: Open the terminal and then add repository for Octave with below command and then press Enter.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:octave/stable
If you are facing an error for ‘apt-add-repository’ command not found like the below image which means that you have not installed the common properties or dependencies to use this command.
But it can be easily installed with the below command(after this run the previous command).
sudo apt install software-properties-common
Step 2: Now you have added the repository then with below command get all the package information from all configured sources:
sudo apt-get update
Step 3: Install the octave for your system with the below command.
sudo apt-get install octave
Step 4: Now, you have successfully installed octave to your Linux system, launch octave with the octave command.
- How to Install VirtualBox in Linux?
- How to Install TeamViewer on Linux/Ubuntu?
- How to install, configure and use GIT on ubuntu?
- How to Install and Set Up SAS University Edition
- How to install Apache server in Ubuntu ?
- How to Install and Configure Fish Shell in Ubuntu?
- How to Install VirtualBox on Windows?
- How to Install and Configure Elasticsearch on Ubuntu ?
- How to install Sublime Text 3 in Windows?
- How to install NumPy package in Julia?
- How to install Pandas package in Julia?
- Step by Step guide to install Intellij Idea
- How to Install UIPath Studio Community Edition for Robotics Process Automation?
- How to Install and Run Apache Kafka on Windows?
- How to Install Julia on MacOS?
- How to Install Magento2 on Windows?
- How to install Android Applications in Mobile Phone without USB Cables using Android Studio
- How to Install CMake for Windows in Python?
- Linux Virtualization : Resource throttling using cgroups
- Initializing and Cache Mechanism in Linux Kernel
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.