Weak passwords are still a big problem in security, nowadays guessing passwords and cracking algorithms is becoming easy and brute-forcing is a major kind of attack in the boom. A general rule for making a strong password is using a combination that is long(more than 8 letters) with capitals, symbols, and numeric’s.
To crack passwords a great tool to brute force is a hydra. It is a parallelized login cracker or password cracker. It was faster and flexible where adding modules is easy. Hydra usually comes preinstalled in the Kali Linux system but if in any case it is not installed or you are using any other distribution you can follow the steps in this article.
Installing From Source Repository
sudo apt-get install hydra-gtk
This command will directly install hydra from repositories, this will install the command-line version of hydra with front end GUI on your Linux system. The major drawback of using this command is that you will not be able to get the latest version, so in case you used this command or hydra was preinstalled on your system you can remove it using:
sudo apt-get purge hydra-gtk && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean
Installing From Source With Newest Version
Before doing anything first we need to get our system up to date by using command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Once our system is up to date we need to install some essential things required for hydra.
sudo apt-get -y install build-essential sudo apt-get install git
When we are using ubuntu/debian based distribution there are some supplementary libraries needed for some optional modules, these can be installed using this command (note than some may not be available for your distribution
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev libssh-dev libidn11-dev libpcre3-dev \ libgtk2.0-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpq-dev libsvn-dev \ firebird-dev libncp-dev
It will enable all the optional modules and features with the exception of Oracle, SAP R/3, NCP, and the apple filling protocol. Once it is done now we need to clone the repository from git hub, use the command:
git clone https://github.com/vanhauser-thc/thc-hydra.git
Locate to the cloned folder directory in your terminal.
After locating to the directory we need to configure it
Now if you see this kind of screen with a message “make”, follow the instructions. Use root privileges for “make install”.
Go to your home directory and use “hydra -help” ensure hydra is installed properly and working well.
- How to Install and Configure Apache Subversion(SVN) In Linux?
- How to Install VirtualBox in Linux?
- How to Install Linux on Windows PowerShell Subsystem?
- install command in Linux with examples
- How to Install Katoolin on Linux Mint?
- How to Install Lazy Script in Kali Linux?
- How to Install Z Shell(zsh) on Linux?
- How to Install TeamViewer on Linux/Ubuntu?
- How to Install Kali Linux VirtualBox Image?
- How to use aplay and spd-say command in Linux?
- How to use Kali Linux in Windows with WSL 2?
- Difference Between Arch Linux and Kali Linux
- How to Install and Configure Docker in Ubuntu?
- How to Install and Configure Fish Shell in Ubuntu?
- How to Install and Configure Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu?
- How to Install and Configure Elasticsearch on Ubuntu ?
- How to Install and Configure MongoDB in Ubuntu?
- Linux Virtualization : Linux Containers (lxc)
- How to Install Chrome in Ubuntu?
- How to Install Ulauncher in Ubuntu?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.