Overview: To obtain the details like country, continent, city, etc of the visitor, first we need to get the IP of the visitor. The IP address can be obtained with the help of superglobal $_SERVER in PHP. Finally, with the use of API geoPlugin, we can obtain information about the IP address i.e. visitor of the website.
Step 1: Getting the visitor’s IP address.
$_SERVER is a PHP Superglobals variable which holds information about headers, IP, script details, etc. Elements like REMOTE_ADDR, HTTP_X_REAL_IP, HTTP_CLIENT_IP and HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR can be used to get the IP from this super global.
Example: This example obtain the IP of the visitors.
Note: In case of CloudFlare, one may need to use elements like HTTP_X_REAL_IP to obtain the IP address.
Step 2: Use API to get the details of the visitor’s IP: Here, we are going to use the geoPlugin API to get the details of the visitor. The api will deliver a json object, which can convert to a PHP variable.
Country Name: United States City Name: Boardman Continent Name: North America Latitude: 45.8491 Longitude: -119.7143 Currency Symbol: $ Currency Code: USD Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
- What is Hactoberfest and How One Can Take Participate in it?
- Difference Between Laravel and Ruby on Rails
- Create a Tic-Tac-Toe Game using jQuery
- How to Upload Image into Database and Display it using PHP ?
- CSS | Combine background image with gradient overlay
- How to define jQuery function ?
- How to Design Half-Page Carousel in Bootstrap ?
- What is the meaning of let-* in Angular 2 Templates ?
- Difference between multiple arguments and options object
- Elasticsearch | Differences between Queries and Filters
- How to Check Twitter Bootstrap is Loaded or not ?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.