Given a date and the task is to print the last day of the month. We will use date() and strtotime() function to get the last day of the month.
Used PHP functions:
- date() function: Format a local time/date.
- strtotime() function: Parse about any English textual datetime description into a Unix timestamp.
Input: 2020-04-23 Output: Thursday Input: '2018-09-11' Output: Sunday
- Given a date stored in a variable as a string, the step is to convert it into date format using strtotime() function.
- Once we get the date, we will employ date() method.
date( $format, $timestamp )
- Within $format, we will pass “Y-m-t” and within $timestamp the date taken above. In terms of date “Y” gives a full numeric representation of a year in 4 digits, “m” provides numeric representation of a month and “t” gives the number of days in the given month.
- By using “Y-m-t”, we will get the number of days in a month because of “t”, “m” and “Y” will provide the month and the year.
- The last step is to use the date() again with “l” for format and the date achieved above as $timestamp.
- Display the day.