TLS (Transport Layer Security) is a secured protocol which is currently in trend. It can see used on top of the HTTP and application layer. The primary use of this protocol is to set up secure communication between web applications and servers. TLS protocol can also be used for secure email transfer, messaging and voice over IP.
Why SSL/TLS secure certificate?
Everyone wants a save website and secured payment gateways so that any kind of username, password and one-time password can not be used by a third party. SSL is a secure way of surfing the internet and it is used to protect our sensitive data. SSL/TLS is required to protect your websites.
Use of SSL/TLS secure certificate
We can use SSL/TLS secure certificate to establish an encrypted way of communication between you and the only recipient that you want to convey a message. We need a secure network packets so that it can not be accessed by third party. Here comes the role of the SSL/TLS secure certificate who can provide us the proper authentications while transferring network packets.
With the help of below command, we can generate our SSL certificate
openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout key.pem -out cert.pem -days 365
This certificate is valid only for 365 days. Most of the parameters are fixed in this command like req, keyout and out. The private key name is up to your choice but it is required and the same for certificate as well. Below are the following steps that have to be followed to create this certificate.
Step 1: In this step, one should provide a password that is always required when you set up a connection with your server. One will not able to see the password while writing the password.
Step 2: In this step, one has to provide the country name with the starting two letters of your country.
Step 3: In this step one has to provide the full name of the state.
Step 4: In this step, one has to provide the organization name in which you are working or an organization for which this certificate is used for.
Step 5: In this step one has to provide the email address of your organization or if you are working as an individual one can give your email address.
After all the above steps are to be followed to make an SSL certificate and private key.
Private Key Generated:
SSL Certificate Generated:
- How to find time taken by a command/program on Linux Shell?
- Terminal Mail and Linux Security Mail
- Linux Virtualization - Chroot Jail
- Linux Virtualization : Linux Containers (lxc)
- Linux Kernel Module Programming: Hello World Program
- Formatted text in Linux Terminal using Python
- Some useful Linux Hacks
- Daily life Linux Commands
- Basic Linux Commands for day to day life
- Initializing and Cache Mechanism in Linux Kernel
- How to add "graphics.h" C/C++ library to gcc compiler in Linux
- Working with Magic numbers in Linux
- Reset a lost Linux administrative password and Explanation
- dup() and dup2() Linux system call
- Encrypt/Decrypt Files in Linux using Ccrypt
- Linux File Hierarchy Structure
- mindepth and maxdepth in Linux find() command for limiting search to a specific directory.
- Network configuration and trouble shooting commands in Linux
- Netstat command in Linux
- Program to show that Linux provides time sharing environment to processes
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.