Python is a widely-used general-purpose, high-level programming language. This article will serve as a complete tutorial on How to download and install Python latest version on macOS / Mac OS X. Like Linux, macOS also comes with Python pre-installed on the system. It might be Python version 2 or some similar outdated version. To update to the latest version, we will use the Homebrew Package manager. It is one of the best and convenient methods to install Python on macOS.
To know more about Homebrew Package manager, visit here.
Download and install Homebrew Package Manager
If you don’t have homebrew installed on your system, follow the steps below
Open the Terminal Application of macOS from Application -> Utilities. Bash terminal will open where you can enter commands
Enter following command in macOS terminal
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
Enter system password if prompted. This will install the Homebrew package Manager on your OS.
After you see a message called “Installation Successful”. You are ready to install python version 3 on your macOS.
Install Python Latest Version on macOS / macOS X
To install python simple open Terminal app from Application -> Utilities
and enter following command
brew install python3
After command processing is complete, Python’s version 3 would be installed on your mac.
To verify the installation enter following commands in your Terminal app
Bingo..!! Python is installed on your computer. You can explore more about python here
- Download and Install Python 3 Latest Version
- How to download and install Python Latest Version on Linux
- How to download and install Python Latest Version on Windows
- How to download and install Python Latest Version on Android
- Download and install pip Latest Version
- How to install pip in macOS ?
- Read latest news using newsapi | Python
- Download Instagram profile pic using Python
- How to download Google Images using Python
- Raise a File Download Dialog Box in Python
- Simple Multithreaded Download Manager in Python
- Python | Download YouTube videos using youtube_dl module
- YouTube Media/Audio Download using Python | pafy
- Python | How to download windows lock-screen wallpapers
- Pytube | Python library to download youtube videos
- Python | Program to download complete Youtube playlist
- rangev2 - A new version of Python range class
- How to install Selenium in Python
- How to install Python on Linux?
- How to install Python on Windows?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.