How to design a system that takes big URLs like “https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/count-sum-of-digits-in-numbers-from-1-to-n/” and converts them into a short 6 character URL. It is given that URLs are stored in database and every URL has an associated integer id.
One important thing to note is, the long url should also be uniquely identifiable from short url. So we need a Bijective Function
We strongly recommend that you click here and practice it, before moving on to the solution.
One Simple Solution could be Hashing. Use a hash function to convert long string to short string. In hashing, that may be collisions (2 long urls map to same short url) and we need a unique short url for every long url so that we can access long url back.
A Better Solution is to use the integer id stored in database and convert the integer to character string that is at most 6 characters long. This problem can basically seen as a base conversion problem where we have a 10 digit input number and we want to convert it into a 6 character long string.
Below is one important observation about possible characters in URL.
A URL character can be one of the following
1) A lower case alphabet [‘a’ to ‘z’], total 26 characters
2) An upper case alphabet [‘A’ to ‘Z’], total 26 characters
3) A digit [‘0’ to ‘9’], total 10 characters
There are total 26 + 26 + 10 = 62 possible characters.
So the task is to convert a decimal number to base 62 number.
To get the original long url, we need to get url id in database. The id can be obtained using base 62 to decimal conversion.
Below is a C++ program based on this idea.
Generated short url is dnh Id from url is 12345
Optimization: We can avoid reverse step in idToShortURL(). To make sure that we get same ID back, we also need to change shortURLtoID() to process characters from end instead of beginning.
This article is computed by Shivam. Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Design a Hit Counter
- Design a data structure for LRU Cache
- Design an efficient data structure for given operations
- Efficiently design Insert, Delete and Median queries on a set
- Design a stack that supports getMin() in O(1) time and O(1) extra space
- Design the Data Structures(classes and objects)for a generic deck of cards
- Design a data structure that supports insert, delete, search and getRandom in constant time
- Minimum value of X to make all array elements equal by either decreasing or increasing by X
- Maximum elements which can be crossed using given units of a and b
- Minimum number of elements to be removed such that the sum of the remaining elements is equal to k
- Number of times the given string occurs in the array in the range [l, r]
- Count of sub-strings that contain character X at least once
- Reverse alternate k characters in a string
- Remove all occurrences of any element for maximum array sum