In Turtle, by default, we have an arrowhead-shaped cursor for drawing on the canvas. This can be changed to some other predefined shape or we can also create a custom shape and register it under a name. Not just that, we can even use gif format images to replace our cursor.
Changing cursor to predefined shapes
The shape() function is used to set the shape of the cursor. The pre-defined shapes include turtle, arrow, circle, square and triangle.
Registering new shapes
The turtle module has register_shape() function for registering custom shapes.
Syntax : turtle.register_shape(name, shape)
name : a string- the name of the shape to be registered. shape : a tuple of tuples containing the coordinates for the custom shape.
The n-tuple argument for the shape parameter, denotes the relative position of each corner of an n-sided polygon. Let us try to create a simple diamond shape to understand this.
Consider this diamond, having length of diagonal = 20, in a Cartesian plane :
To create this shape, we need to pass these coordinates in clockwise order.
Using images for Turtle cursor
To use an image as the cursor, we need to pass the image file path as parameter to register_shape(). Note that this image has to be in gif format.
- Draw Color Filled Shapes in Turtle - Python
- turtle.forward() method in Python-Turtle
- turtle.setpos() and turtle.goto() functions in Python
- Create a simple Animation using Turtle in Python
- Create digital clock using Python-Turtle
- Create a Simple Two Player Game using Turtle in Python
- turtle.right() method in Python
- Draw Square and Rectangle in Turtle - Python
- Draw any polygon in Turtle - Python
- Python - Hilbert Curve using turtle
- Python - Draw Hexagon Using Turtle Graphics
- Python - Draw Star Using Turtle Graphics
- Python - Draw Octagonal shape Using Turtle Graphics
- Python - Write "GFG" using Turtle Graphics
- How to Get Coordinate Of Screen in Python Turtle ?
- How to make Indian Flag using Turtle - Python
- Draw Colourful Star Pattern in Turtle - Python
- Y Fractal tree in Python using Turtle
- How to make Triangle in Python Turtle using onscreenclick?
- Draw a Tic Tac Toe Board using Python-Turtle