How to Create an Onboarding Screen in Android?
Hello geeks, today we are going to learn that how we can add Onboarding Screen to our android application in the android studio so that we can provide a better user experience to the user of the application.
What is Onboarding Screen?
The onboarding screen can be understood as a virtual unboxing of an application. Users go through a series of screens which finally directs users to the application interface. Goals or purposes of Onboarding screen:
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.
- Welcomes user and excite them about application ahead.
- Tell the features or functions of the application.
- Allow users to register or log in.
- Collect information about the interests of the user(for example – when we open the Spotify application for the first time it asks the user to select singers which he/she likes).
What we are going to build in this article?
Here is the sample video of the onboarding screen which we are going to create in this article. Note that we are going to implement this project using the Java language.
Step by Step Implementation
Step 1: Create a new project
- Open a new project.
- We will be working on Empty Activity with language as Java. Leave all other options unchanged.
- You can change the name of the project at your convenience.
- There will be two default files named activity_main.xml and MainActivity.java.
If you don’t know how to create a new project in Android Studio then you can refer to How to Create/Start a New Project in Android Studio?
Step 2: Navigate to Build scripts -> build.gradle(module) file and add the following dependency in it
After adding this dependency click on sync now to save all the changes.
Step 3: Working with the activity_main.xml file
Navigate to the app > res > layout > activity_main.xml and add the below code to that file. Below is the code for the activity_main.xml file.
Step 4: Working with the MainActivity.java file
Go to the MainActivity.java file and refer to the following code. Below is the code for the MainActivity.java file. Comments are added inside the code to understand the code in more detail.
Congratulations, we have successfully made the Onboarding screen for our application. The final output is shown below.