How to create a new thread in Python
Threads in python are an entity within a process that can be scheduled for execution. In simpler words, a thread is a computation process that is to be performed by a computer. It is a sequence of such instructions within a program that can be executed independently of other codes.
In Python, there are two ways to create a new Thread. In this article, we will also be making use of the threading module in Python. Below is a detailed list of those processes:
1. Creating python threads using class
Below has a coding example followed by the code explanation for creating new threads using class in python.
GFG 1000 GeeksforGeeks 2000 Exit
Now let’s look into what we did up there in the code.
- We created a sub-class of the thread class.
- Then we override the __init__ function of the thread class.
- Then we override the run method to define the behavior of the thread.
- The start() method starts a Python thread.
2. Creating python threads using function
The below code shows the creation of new thread using a function:
running running running running running running running running running running thread finished...exiting
So what we did in the above code,
- We defined a function to create a thread.
- Then we used the threading module to create a thread that invoked the function as its target.
- Then we used start() method to start the Python thread.