How to Create a Basic Color Picker Tool in Android?
There are many open-source color picker tools for android applications to choose from. In this discussion, At the end of this article, one will be able to implement the color picker tool in the android application, have a look at the following image to get an overview of the discussion. In this article, it’s been discussed to implement the very basic color picker tool.
A sample GIF is given below to get an idea about what we are going to do in this article. Note that we are going to implement this project using the Java language.
Steps to Implement a Color Picker Tool
Step 1: Create a New Project
- To create a new project in Android Studio please refer to How to Create/Start a New Project in Android Studio.
- Note that select Java as the programming language.
Step 2: Adding the AmbilWarna color picker library dependency
- AmbilWarna is an open-source color picker library which can be found here. Which has only one release and this is one of the final releases.
- Now adding its dependency to the app-level gradle file.
- Make sure the system should be connected to the network (so that it downloads the required files) and after invoking the dependency click on the “Sync Now” button.
- Refer to the following image to locate the app-level gradle file and invoke the dependency.
Step 3: Working with the actvity_main.xml file
- Next, go to the activity_main.xml file, which represents the UI of the project.
- Below is the code for the activity_main.xml file. Comments are added inside the code to understand the code in more detail.
Before going to handle the color picker tool dialog functionality, understanding the parts of the dialog box is necessary so that it can become easier while dealing with parts of the dialog box in java code.
Step 4: Working with the MainActivity.java file
- Finally, go to the MainActivity.java file, and refer to the following code.
- Below is the code for the MainActivity.java file. Comments are added inside the code to understand the code in more detail.