Function Coding Questions are similar to normal coding questions apart from the fact that one does not need to read input and print output from standard I/O while writing solutions.
In function coding question, one just needs to complete a function already written in the code editor. You need to work on inputs provided as a parameter to this function and instead of printing the result you will have to return it from the function.
Let’s take the example of a sample function problem: Equilibrium Index of an Array. The pattern of question is almost the same as that of normal programming questions. In function problems, you can notice an additional information provided as “Task” after the output format which clearly explains that the user only needs to complete a function and return the result from it.
You can also see that in the code editor for this question there is already a function written with name findEquilibrium().
This function accepts an array A and an integer n which denotes the size of the array A. You can see in the above image that the body of this function is empty. You need to write your complete code inside the body of this function and return the result from it without writing a separate main() function. You must assume that there is already a main() function written which is invoking this function and write your program accordingly.
Below is the complete working solution for the above question:
Important things to remember
- One should assume that a main() function is already present which is invoking the current function and should not write a separate main() function.
- Use inputs as provided in the function parameters.
- Return result from the function instead of printing it.
- Sudo Placement 2 | Course Structure
- Placements | QA | Ratio Proportion and Partnership
- How to prepare for AMCAT?
- Permutation and Combination
- Progressions (AP, GP, HP) and practice problems
- Cognizant Placement Paper | Aptitude Set 3
- Cerner Interview Experience (Off-Campus) for the role of Software Engineer
- Cognizant Placement Paper | Aptitude Set 4
- Placements | English | Error Detection and Correction
- How to answer a coding question in an Interview?
- Chatbot Theory Explained !
- Placements | QA | Profit and Loss
- Service-Oriented Architecture
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding Placements
- TCS Placement Paper | Email Writing Question 1
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.