Regardless of any job profile or any company – ‘Tell Me About Yourself’, it is undeniably the very first question that you often face in every interview. The question gives you the opportunity to showcase your personality to the recruiters and let them know how you are a perfect fit for the particular job role.
Now, when it is quite confirmed that you’re going to be asked this question in your upcoming interviews – don’t you think you must be prepared for this question ideally and flawlessly to stand out among other candidates…?? A Big YES…!!
However, most of the time, candidates especially freshers ignore to prepare for this basic question and end up giving a not-so-entertaining answer for it that eventually set the negative tone for the rest of the interview.
With similar concern, here in this article, we’ll let you know about the correct approach that you should follow to give an impressive and accomplished answer to the “Tell Me About Yourself” question in an Interview. But before that, let’s take a look at an appropriate prototype answer to this question for better understanding:
“Hi, My name is Anurag Sharma. I’ve recently done my Bachelors in Technology with Computer Science stream from XYZ University with 9 CGPA. Also, I did my 12th & 10th from CBSE Board in the year 2016 and 2014 respectively. Though I am currently staying in Delhi – I was born and brought up in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, and did my schooling from there itself. Considering my family background details – we’re 4 members in the family. Apart from my parents, I have a sibling – an elder brother.
As you’d have known – I am here for the role of ABC. Coming to my skills I know *mention all those skills that you possess and are relevant to the job role that you’re applying for*. I had 2 internships as well in this particular domain where along with core technical things I also learned organizational ethics and discipline. Moreover, I also did 2 successful individual projects *on the particular technology* in my college tenure. *You can also opt to brief the project & internship details here*
To be honest, my short-term goal is to get a job in a reputed company like *the company name for which you’re applying* where I can use my skills and knowledge to deliver value-added result and in long term, the goal would be to achieve a good position in the particular company to scale up organization’s production & growth rate and at the same time for the betterment of my personal career growth as well. Other than that, if I talk about my strengths – I can say that I’m a quick learner, team player, adaptable and creative person – and I do guess that these strengths of mine are perfectly suitable for this job role.
In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, playing outdoor sports, and sometimes cooking.
That’s all about me. And yes, thanks for the opportunity given to introduce myself!”
Okay, so this how you are expected to answer “Tell Me About Yourself” in an interview. However, you need to understand you can’t use a specific answer for this question in all your interviews – you need to analyze the situation & job opportunity and craft your answer accordingly. Now, to help you out in compiling the perfect response to “Tell me about yourself” – below we’ve provided the most effective approaches that you all can consider:
- Firstly, you need to start it with greeting and telling your name to the interviewer. Though, you need to remember that if you’ve already greeted then avoid doing it again and simply start it by telling your full name.
- Then you can opt to provide your education qualification details along with few basic details such as where do you live, about family members, etc. Try to keep the information clear, concise, and relevant to the interview.
- Now, you need to focus on this particular aspect – ‘What makes you a great fit for this position?’ You can do it by describing your skillset to the recruiter, telling him/her about the projects and internships that you have done and how they are relevant to the particular job role, about the relevant certifications or achievements that you have earned, etc. Also, you can let the interviewer know that why are you interested in the particular company or job role.
- After that, you need to tell about your short-term and long-term career goals to the interviewer. Do remember that when you are telling about your goals – it should not be too self-centered. Then, you can let the interviewer know about your personal strengths & weaknesses and how they can be valuable for the company. You can make use of past incidents or experiences to validate the said strengths.
- In the end, you can tell about your hobbies in a quite concise way and can opt to be thankful to the interviewer for giving you this opportunity.
Key Points to Remember While Answering – “Tell Me About Yourself”:
- Customize your answer as per the job role and company requirements from the candidate.
- Do not just recite your resume – provide something valuable with your answer and that too, in a concise way.
- Tell about your skills, experience, strengths, etc. in such a way so that it will depict how you are the ideal candidate for the particular job role.
- Do not get too personal or bring up sensitive topics like religious views, political views, etc. in your answer.
- Practice your answer before the interview to feel confident – but make sure that it won’t look too rehearsed.
- Lastly, try to be positive and deliver your answer confidently.
So, all you need to do is follow the above-mentioned approaches and keep your answer concise & relevant – and then no one can stop you to shine in your upcoming interview…!!