How to add records in your own local/custom database in Node.js ?
The custom database signifies the local database in your file system. There are two types of database ‘SQL’ and ‘NoSQL’. In SQL database data are stored as table manner and in Nosql database data are stored independently with some particular way to identify each record independently. We can also create our own database or datastore locally in Nosql manner.
There are some steps involve in creating the local database and add records to it. These steps are as follows:
- Create package.json file in the root of the project directory.
Command to create package.json file
npm init -y
- Install express and body-parser package.
Command to install packages
npm install express body-parser
- Create a GET route to show the form (HTML form to submit the information to the database).
- Create the subsequent post route to handle the form submission request.
- Set the server to run on a specific port(Developer’s port – 3000)
- Create a repository file and add all the logic related to creating database and storing data to it.
This example creates a local database named ‘datastore.json’ and stores the user’s information to it.
Steps to run the program:
Run the index.js file using the following command:
Form to submit the responses:
Note: Here three responses are submitted one after other and all the responses are stored in datastore.json file.
Redirected page after submitting the request:
Note: For the first time, running the program database(datastore.json) file not exist in the project directory, it created dynamically after running the program and store the submitted response. After that, all the submitted responses are appended in the database one by one.