How I cracked TCS BCA/BSc Hiring Drive for 2020 ?
It is my final year of BCA this year, so I applied for the TCS BCA/BSc Recruitment drive for the year 2020 pass out students.
There was a notification that surfaced in the month of October 2019 that gave us the details to apply for the drive.
After a few days, I received my Hall Ticket on my registered email Id, specifying the details of the center of examination and reporting time.
The reporting time was 1 hour prior to the commencement of the examination. The documents required for the test were as follows
- Two colored printouts of the Hall Ticket, and
- One photocopy of Aadhaar Card or any valid govt Id proof
Apart from this, we were only allowed to carry two HB pencils inside the examination center and nothing else, not even water bottles were allowed (which was a bit frustrating).
The test duration was of 1 hour and 30 minutes and it was divided into three sections:
– Basic questions of the English grammar and some passage based questions
- Aptitude & Reasoning
– Pattern recognition, puzzles and other aptitude based questions
– Basic programming and output based questions of the C and C++ programming language.
Each of these sections had around 10 – 12 questions each. Some of the questions were MCQ type and some were Fill in the Blanks type.
The MCQ questions carried a negative marking however there was no negative marking for Fill in the Blanks type questions.
Overall the questions were quite interesting and I enjoyed solving them.
My test was scheduled for 30 November 2019 and on the website, the tentative date for result announcement was 5 December 2019.
However, the results were announced on 11 December 2019 on the registered email id.
After that on 19 December 2019, I received another mail that had the details for the interview such as location of interview, date and slot timings. Apart from this a list of mandatory documents was given which included a copy of the TCS application form.
My interview was scheduled for 3 January 2020 in the first slot from 9:00 AM.
When I reached the venue, some documents were verified first which included
- Class 10 mark sheet
- Class 12 mark sheet
- Semester mark sheets
- and, TCS Application form
After that I received a blue chit on my form mentioning ‘Approved’.
Then we were sent to a hall where the interviews were conducted. Usually, there were three levels of interviews being conducted
- Technical Interview
- HR Interview
- Managerial Interview
Technical Interview and HR Interview
I faced a single round of both the Technical and HR interviews simultaneously, there were two people one was technical and the other one was HR.
My interview started off with the Technical Interview and the questions asked were:
- Tell me something about yourself ?
- What is OOPs ?
- What are the basic OOPs concepts?
- What are the various types of Inheritance?
- How can you connect a database in C#?
- What is the importance of database normalization?
- What are the advantages of C# over C++?
- What is recursion?
- Write a program to print the Fibonacci series using recursion.
I answered all those questions correctly and most important – confidently.
After that, they asked for my resume and began asking questions from my Internships, Training, and Projects. I answered them well and they looked pretty satisfied. After that, the HR started asking me some questions, these were
What do you know about TCS?
Why do you want to join TCS?
Are you willing to relocate?
Then he gave me a puzzle, which was
If there is a tap with an infinite water supply and two water jugs of 5L and 3L capacity, how can you measure 4L of water?
I thought about it for a while and then gave them a correct explanation. My answer was:
- First, fill the 5L jug from tap.
- Fill the 3L jug from 5L jug and throw the water from the 3L jug
- Now transfer the remaining 2L from the 5L jug to the 3L jug.
- Then again fill the 5L jug from the tap.
- And fill the 3L jug completely from the 5L jug.
- Now, 3L jug had 2L of water and can only take 1L of water, now 5L-1L = 4L, so, 4L of water is present in 5L jug.
It took me around 2-3 minutes to come up with the solution, and as soon as I told them, they were very impressed with me and told me to wait for some time.
After some time, my name was called out for the next interview – The managerial interview.
It was a rather shorter one, and basically a repetition of what the HR had already asked, the person asked me following
- Tell me something about yourself.
- What do you know about TCS?
- Are you willing to relocate?
- What are your hobbies?
(To which I replied Writing, Cycling and Coding)
Then he asked me if I could speak on any topic for 2-3 minutes? to which I agreed, then he gave me a topic:
Tell me about your today’s experience with TCS
I spoke as honestly as I could.
Then he told me if I have any questions, to which I asked some questions about my positions of responsibilities in TCS and the kind of work usually given to a BCA graduate.
Then the interviewer told me to leave for the day and that the results will be shared within 15 days on the registered email Id.
On 16 January 2020, the results were shared and received the mail.
So this was my interview experience with TCS and I am happy to be placed in such a reputed company.