Java is a very successful and popular programming language. It is very reliable and is widely used in our day to day lives, prominently seen in web or mobile applications. There is much demand for Java these days and the Java programmers are being recruited largely in the Information Technology sector. For more details on why should you learn Java, you can visit Top 10 Reasons to Learn Java.
For being a good Java programmer you must focus on certain things mentioned here:
1. Get Your Basics Clear
Find a good source of knowledge be it a tutor or online videos or study material and strengthen your basics. Understanding basics is a must for further constructing your programming skills. Rather than mugging up something that you don’t get, seek help and get the logic behind it. Take your time, don’t have the target of getting everything at once, take it slowly at the starting and then gradually you’ll pick up speed. You should learn:
- Java 8
- Spring Framework (Spring Boot)
- Unit Testing
- APIs and Libraries
- JVM’s Internals
- Design Patterns
- DevOps Tools
- Learn Your IDE Better
2. Read Documentation & Open-Source Frameworks Source Code
Keep yourself updated about the latest Java technologies by joining some good forums and subscribing to newsletters. Never stop reading. Keep reading about it from somewhere or the other and try and spread your knowledge to others. It’ll also help to maintain your interest in the field. Build a habit to read lots of documentation. May it be specifications, JSR, API documents, tutorials, etc. Reading documents helps you creating that essential foundation based on which you program in best of the way.
Implement what you are learning. Practice programming online or offline, that’ll boost your confidence. Be regular, make targets and try and complete them withing time. Depth of knowledge comes only when you practically perform what you’ve understood. Join Java Programming Practice and Contest, like: codechef, spoj, and projecteuler.
4. Group Discussions And Read Books
Make a group, have discussions. Join hubs on the internet. Group discussions help you to get different views regarding the topic. You can get the pros and cons of things and you can also solve your doubts over discussions. Also, read standard books and notes.
5. Subscribe to Forums
When you start working on a new technology the best and first thing to do is to subscribe to technology forums. Whatever the issue you are facing, someone else might have already faced it earlier and you might find the solution. Follow good blogs and also help others by sharing your opinions on it. Join Java programming social plateforms, like: StackOverflow, dreamincode forum, java-forums, and coderanch forum etc.
6. Undertake Projects
A good way to improve your coding skills and become a good programmer is working as a freelancer. It means that you find projects online, work from home and get paid online, too.
7. Dedicate Yourself
The last and the most important step that’ll you need the most is dedication. You’ll only be a good java programmer if you truly dedicate yourself to it. Don’t have a casual approach but concentrate and hold your focus on it. Follow Java tutorials by GeeksforGeeks.
Follow these methods, they’ll certainly help you and you’ll see yourself doing really good at some time.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- How to be a Good Programmer in College ?
- How to Think Like a Programmer?
- Why You Should Become a Self-Taught Programmer?
- How to be a Successful Freelance Programmer
- Top 10 Books That Every Programmer Must Read Once
- How to Become a Freelance Programmer in 2020?
- 5 New Resolutions Every Novice Programmer Should Take in 2020
- Best Tech Movies That Every Programmer Must Watch
- 4 Personality Traits of a Great Programmer
- Computer scientist vs Programmer vs Developer vs Hackers
- How to write a good SRS for your Project
- Characteristics of a good Software Engineer
- Coding good - Important criterias
- Characteristics of Good Object Oriented Design
- How can one become good at Data structures and Algorithms easily?
- Java.util.LinkedList.poll(), pollFirst(), pollLast() with examples in Java
- Java.util.BitSet class methods in Java with Examples | Set 2
- Java.lang.Short toString() method in Java with Examples
- Java.util.Collections.rotate() Method in Java with Examples
- Java.util.function.BiPredicate interface in Java with Examples
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.