Let us first know about competitive programming!
Competitive programming is a brain game which take place on the Internet or a local network in which programmers have to code according to the given constraints. Here programmers are referred as competitive coders. Many top notch companies like Google, Facebook host contests like Codejam and Hackercup respectively. Those who perform well in these contests are recognised by these companies and get offers to work with these tech giants.
Why competitive programming?
- Publicly demonstrate your skills
Competitive programmers are known for their problem solving skills. Like developers show their skills by making different projects, competitive programmers show their talent by taking part in different challenges which sites like Codeforces, Codechef, Topcoder, Hackerrank, Hackerearth and many more host frequently. Competitive programmers build their name and earn fame on these sites and as they perform good, people start to recognize them.
- Prepare you for a Technical Interview
As you get used to solving harder and harder problem in contests, you will easily be able to answer questions asked in technical interview. Competitive programming also increases your problem solving speed which provides a edge to you over other applicants.
- Makes you desirable Candidate for major Companies
Big companies like Apple, Google and Facebook want talented and smart people to work with them. So these companies keep an eye on those programmers who outperform worldwide in the contests which take place at world level. One such contest is ACM ICPC, it is like olympics for a competitive programmer. You will definitely get an opportunity to work with these companies if you perform well in world level contests.
- Makes you more faster and focussed
You will become faster in every aspect of your life. You start finish your tasks quickly in your real life as well. This is an excellent skill which you develop. It helps you become more focussed as your code gets accepted only when your all test cases passes. So you start developing a habit of analyzing each and every factor which can affect your code. Hence in life also you don’t miss any factor which remains unconsidered easily.
- Helps you solve Complicated Problems
While solving a question in competitive programming, most of the time you get wrong answer and you face a failure. By solving lots of questions, you will overcome the fear of failure. Competitive Programmers perform under pressure and take out a solution which builds their real life problem facing skills.
For example : You are opening a business, then you won’t have fear of failure. You will handle any situation which comes in your way and will overcome it easily.
- Guaranteed Brain Exercise
Many a times, we come across a condition when we think that I have not done anything productive today. By solving 2 or 3 problems and getting correct answer for that helps you feel motivated. You will feel that yes I have applied my brain in solving these problems, which boosts your motivation.
- Teaches you how to work in Teams
Many contests take place at individual level and many contests involve team participation. You give contest in a group of 2 or 3. So you start to learn how to approach a situation in a group. Some person has good dynamic programming, some code faster, some think of a solution faster. In this way you learn to divide the work in team.
It helps when you are working a company and doing work in a project.
- It’s FUN!
One of the biggest factor is that competitive programming gives you a real time fun. Many people play football, cricket. They get recognition from various people that this person is very good in that particular sport. In the same way when you do Competitive Programming, you compete at the world level, among your peers. You start getting fame and recognition from people that this person’s algorithmic approach is fantastic. It feels nice when you hear these kind of words. So it is thrilling to do Competitive Programming.
Various platform where you can showcase your skills
Various yearly top competitions
1. ACM ICPC
So guys, start competitive programming today if you have not geared up. It definitely helps you get a good job.
Related Article :
Practice for cracking any coding interview
- Tips and Tricks for Competitive Programmers | Set 2 (Language to be used for Competitive Programming)
- Top 10 Algorithms and Data Structures for Competitive Programming
- How to begin with Competitive Programming?
- How to become a master in competitive programming?
- Competitive Programming: Conquering a given problem
- Fast I/O for Competitive Programming
- A Better Way To Approach Competitive Programming
- getchar_unlocked() - faster input in C/C++ for Competitive Programming
- Bitwise Hacks for Competitive Programming
- Some important shortcuts in Competitive Programming
- Fast I/O in Java in Competitive Programming
- Frequency Measuring Techniques for Competitive Programming
- Graph implementation using STL for competitive programming | Set 1 (DFS of Unweighted and Undirected)
- Graph implementation using STL for competitive programming | Set 2 (Weighted graph)
- Writing C/C++ code efficiently in Competitive programming
- Input/Output from external file in C/C++, Java and Python for Competitive Programming
- Prefix Sum Array - Implementation and Applications in Competitive Programming
- Input/Output from external file in C/C++, Java and Python for Competitive Programming | Set 2
- C++ tricks for competitive programming (for C++ 11)
- Java tricks for competitive programming (for Java 8)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.