A game is a form of interactive entertainment where players must overcome challenges, by taking actions that are governed by rules, in order to meet a victory condition.
History of Computer Games :
- 1962: “Spacewar” (Steven Russell) Spacewar! is a space combat video game developed in 1962 by Steve Russell at MIT using vector graphics on PDP-1. It was also spread to many of few dozen, primarily academic, installations of PDP-1 computer, making Spacewar first known video game to be played at multiple computer installations.
- In 1972, “The Odyssey” became first commercial home video game console when it was released by Magnavox. Odyssey consists of a white, black, and brown box which connects to a television set, and two rectangular controllers attached by wires.
- Donkey Kong is an arcade game released by Nintendo in 1981. In the game, Mario originally named Mr. Video and then Jumpman must rescue a damsel in distress named Pauline originally named Lady, from a giant ape named Donkey Kong.
- Tetris is a tile-matching puzzle video game, originally designed and programmed by Russian game designer Alexey Pajitnov. First playable version was completed on June 6, 1984.
- Solitaire is a computer game included with Microsoft Windows, based on a card game of same name, also known as Klondike. Microsoft has included game as part of its Windows product line since Windows 3.0, starting from 1990.
- The PlayStation (officially abbreviated to PS, and commonly known as PS1 or its codename, PSX) is a home video game console developed and marketed by Sony Computer Entertainment. The console was released on 3 December 1994 in Japan.
- The Xbox is a home video game console and first installment in Xbox series of consoles manufactured by Microsoft. It was released on November 15, 2001 in North America.
- Do you want to make your own games?
- History of DBMS
- The complete History of Java Programming Language
- Before Google's prime: Search Engine History
- How to Delete Google Chrome Browsing History?
- Different Ways to Connect One Computer to Another Computer
- Difference between Computer Science Engineering and Computer Engineering
- Everything about Computer
- Computer Science 101
- Computer Animation
- What is Computer Crime?
- What is Computer Virus ?
- What happens when we turn on computer?
- Computer Graphics | Antialiasing
- How Computer / Laptop Starts ?
- A simple understanding of Computer
- Introduction of Computer Forensics
- Computer Security and its Challenges
- Socket in Computer Network
- Information Security and Computer Forensics
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.