Let’s discuss about parallel computing and hardware architecture of parallel computing in this post. As we are going to learn parallel computing for that we should know that the terms that giving below. Note that there is two type of the computing but we only learn about the parallel computing here.
- Era of computing –
The two fundamental and dominant models of computing are sequential and parallel. The sequential computing era began in the 1940s and the parallel (and distributed) computing era followed it within a decade.
- Computing –
So, now the question arises that what is Computing?
Computing is any goal-oriented activity requiring, benefiting from, or creating computers. Computing includes designing, developing and building hardware and software systems; designing a mathematical sequence of steps known as an algorithm; processing, structuring and managing various kinds of information
- Type of Computing –
As we learn about the computing and by that, we have a question on the mind that is there is any different type of the computing yes we have two different type of the computing and that is given below :
There are mainly two type of the processing and that given below:
- Parallel computing
- Distributed computing
Parallel computing –
As in this article, we are going to learn Parallel computing so what is parallel processing?
Processing of multiple tasks simultaneously on multiple processors is called parallel processing. The parallel program consists of multiple active processes (tasks) simultaneously solving a given problem.
A given task is divided into multiple subtasks using a divide-and-conquer technique, and each subtask is processed on a different central processing unit (CPU). Programming on a multiprocessor system using the divide-and-conquer technique is called parallel programming.
As we learn what is parallel computing and there type now we are going more deeply on the topic of the parallel computing and understand the concept of the hardware architecture of parallel computing.
Hardware architecture of parallel computing –
The hardware architecture of parallel computing is disturbed along the following categories as given below :
1. Single-instruction, single-data (SISD) systems
2. Single-instruction, multiple-data (SIMD) systems
3. Multiple-instruction, single-data (MISD) systems
4. Multiple-instruction, multiple-data (MIMD) systems
Refer to learn about the hardware architecture of parallel computing – Flynn’s taxonomy
Hardware computing –
Computer hardware is the collection of physical parts of a computer system. This includes the computer case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It also includes all the parts inside the computer case, such as the hard disk drive, motherboard, video card, and many others. Computer hardware is what you can physically touch.
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 1 (Execution, Stages and Throughput)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 3 (Types and Stalling)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 2 (Dependencies and Data Hazard)
- Computer Architecture | Flynn's taxonomy
- Introduction to quantum computing
- Computer Organization | Von Neumann architecture
- Parallel processing - systolic arrays
- Introduction to Parallel Computing
- Computer Architecture | Multiprocessor and Multicomputer
- Interaction of a Program with Hardware
- Microarchitecture and Instruction Set Architecture
- Conventional Computing vs Quantum Computing
- Computer Organization | Random Access Memory (RAM) vs Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- HDD vs SSD
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.