gzexe command is used to compress executable files and also used to automatically uncompress and execute the files. This utility is very useful on systems having small disk space. This command creates two files. Suppose you run it for a file named grs then it will create two files like:
- grs~ : Original file itself.
- grs : Compressed executable.
- -d : Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them.
- Compressing an executable file(observe the size of both files).
- Decompressing an compressed executable file(observe the size of both files).
Note: Compressed executable is a shell script in itself which can create security holes. It is dependent on PATH environment variable for its functions.