GSM Full Form
GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communication.
It is a standard developed by the European Telecommunication Standards Institute(ETSI) to describe protocols for 2G networks. It acted as a replacement for 1G cellular networks.
GSM is basically an open, digital cellular radio network and operates in almost all the countries. It is not only used for voice calls but also for data computing and text messages. While CDMA(Code Division Multiple Access) doesn’t support calls and data computing at the same time.
- GSM makes use of the narrowband Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) technique for transmitting signals.
- GSM is a circuit-switching system that works by dividing each 200 kHz channel into eight 25 kHz time-slots.
- GSM operates on the mobile communication bands 900 MHz and 1800 MHz in most parts of the world.
- It is highly secured as facilities cannot be duplicated as all the information is stored on a sim card.
- It is compatible with a wide range of devices.
- Allows use of voice calls and data at the same time, unlike CDMA technology.
- Clarity of voice calls is another interesting and demanding feature.
- As multiple users share same bandwidth, the transmission can face interference. Due to these newer cellular networks like 3G makes use of CDMA technology.
- It can also interfere with electronics equipment as it makes use of pulse transmission technology.Therefore we are told to put our cellphones on airplane mode in airplanes and hospitals so as to avoid this electronic interference.
- Also it is a highly complicated system.