Google Summer of Code Preparation
Hi, Past year i was involved actively in open source contribution. One thing lead too another, in the end i was inclined to try for GSOC which overall gave me an experience worth sharing, so here i am doing it.
GSOC timeline constitute of the following (January-April):
- Organizations apply to be part of GSOC.
- After a month’s period selected organizations are announced by google.
- Interested students join the mailing list of their desired organization out of the selected ones followed by formal introduction of themselves to the mailing list.
- Students start contributing to the repositories present and interacting with the maintainers of the repos.
- After a period of almost two months of interaction and contribution, interested people have to make a project proposal out of the given ideas and submit it via google docs after review of one of the maintainers.
- After a month’s time the results are announced of the selected students based on their contribution and learning.
Four stages for GSOC preparation:
At the end of process only one or maximum two students are selected by any organization to be a part of GSOC. But the journey of your preparation is what matters the most.
Unfortunately, last year I was not able to make it. But in the process of doing it, i gained a lot.
I was the top contributor to my repository for 5 straight months (Weecology Retriever) with a total of 33 commits to my name,
I became a technical contributor and part of the technical review team of google’s tensor flow project and became organizational member to opengenus.
Moreover, I won a free T-shirt by being part of the hacktoberfest hosted by github.(That’s where it all started)
In the end, i would say keep trying and contributing, as your hardwork would make you land somewhere good.
All The Best!!