Goldman Sachs Interview Experience for Analyst (Off-Campus) 2022
Hae, I am currently pursuing my B.Tech in Metallurgical Engineering from NIT Raipur. Goldman Sachs doesn’t visit our campus. I applied for Goldman Sachs through their Engineering Campus Hiring Program (EHCP) in July 2021. The process took a whole semester.
Round 1 (Aptitude Test): The first round was Aptitude Test which was scheduled for 22nd August 2021 on HackerRank. The total duration was 1 hour and 30 minutes. There were a total of 66 questions divided into 6 sections. The marking scheme was +5 for the correct answer and -2 for an incorrect answer. I attempted 40+ questions and was selected for the next round.
The sections were:
- Numerical Computations – 8 questions
- Numerical Reasoning -12 questions
- Comprehension – 10 questions
- Abstract Reasoning – 12 questions
- Diagrammatic Reasoning – 12 questions
- Logical Reasoning – 12 questions
Suggestion: Don’t take it lightly, this is the most important round, because if you are not able to clear this round then all your preparations for further rounds are worthless, practice the decent number of aptitude from various sources like indiabix.com.
Round 2 (Technical Test): The second round was Technical Test scheduled for 24th October 2021 on HackerRank. The test has 4 sections and the duration was 1 hour 50 minutes. All sections are mandatory. Each MCQ earns you 5 marks for correct answer and -2 for incorrect answer.
- The CS multiple-choice section has 7 MCQs and the duration is 20 mins.
- The Quant section has 11 MCQs and the duration is 45 mins.
- The Programming section has 2 programming questions (medium level) and the duration is 30 mins.
- The Subjective section has 2 questions and the duration is 15 mins.
Suggestion: You can’t switch between 2 sections and each of them are time-bounded, so you need to be quick, especially in the coding section. You can use the Grammarly extension to improve your grammar in the 4th section.
After waiting for soo long I got my technical round’s result on 24th November 2021 when I had cleared the Technical Test. Then on 13th December 2021, I got my interview dates on 15th December 2021.
We were said to be in zoom call from 9:45 AM. There were 30-32 candidates in my room. Then they start shifting candidates lithographically to various interviewers, now only 11 students were there in the waiting room as my name started with R, and I was one of them. I got a chance at 11:15 AM.
Round 3 (Interview 1): Without any intro or any waste of time, the Interviewer typed a question on HackerRank codepair.
- https://leetcode.com/problems/asteroid-collision/. He directly asked me to code and explain while coding. I gave him the stack approach and described to him all the edge test cases.
- https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/trapping-rain-water/. I coded it using Dynamic Programming. Then he asked to optimize the code, and do it in one pass. I code it real quick.
The interviewer was then running out of time, so he asked me some oops and OS concepts, and I answered well. At last, he asked me whether I was having any questions, I asked my question. He was quite happy with my approach and overall performance. It took 1 hour 15 minutes.
After the interview, one HR who was one of the interview organizers shifted me to the 2nd waiting room, which got me relaxed that I had passed the 1st Round. I was shifted for the next interview to another room at 12:00 PM.
Round 4(Interview 2): She gave her introduction and asked me to introduce myself, she asked me why I am moving to the software industry irrespective of my branch which is Metallurgical Engineering. I told her my interest in coding. Then she started asking me questions.
- Reverse a stack. I coded it using another stack.
- Reverse a stack using recursion (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/reverse-a-stack-using-recursion/).
- Sort a stack using recursion (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/sort-a-stack-using-recursion/).
- Reverse a stack without using extra space (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/reverse-stack-without-using-extra-space/) i.e. recursion also uses extra space that is recursion stack. She wanted to test my OOPS skills. I did that by making a linked list class and stack class.
She was quite impressed with all my approaches and gave a +ve feedback. At last, he asked me whether I was having any questions, I asked my question and the interview ended. It took 1 hour 20 minutes.
After the interview, one HR shifted me to the 3rd waiting room, I was exhausted sitting in the same position.
Round 5 (Interview 3): This was a behavioral round, she asked about my interest, my hobbies, and some usual HR questions
- Why do you want to join GS??
- Why should we select you??
- Values of GS.
- The vision of GS.
This was a friendly round. I asked about the work-life balance at GS, and corporate life in online vs offline mode. She answered all my questions and the interview got ended. It took 20 minutes.
Then I was sent to another waiting. I was waiting and waiting with 14 other students. Then one HR came into the waiting room at 3:30 PM. that’s it that day, we would get the results soon.
On 31st December I opened my GS application portal, and Current Status is Offer Accepted was mentioned there but got no official mail from them. Finally, on 4th January 2022, I got an official mail of selection.
- Solve as many questions on GFG and LeetCode.
- Practice Mock Interviews.
- Practice Aptitude and Core CS fundamental Subjects 1 month before placement season.
- Go to the company’s website and read about them, their values, vision, about the company, and other frequently asked HR questions.
- Goldman Sachs Engineering Campus Hiring Program is a game of patience.
- Most Importantly believe in yourself and Never Lose Hope.