Given A Number n in a base 10, find the number of digits in its base b representation.
Constraints : Whole
Input : Number = 48 Base = 4 Output: 3 Explanation : (48)10 = (300)4 Input : Number = 1446 Base = 7 Output: 4 Explanation : (446)10 = (4134)7
A simple approach: convert the decimal number into the given base r and then count number of digits.
An efficient approach : It resides on the relationship between the base of the number and number of digits of that number.
Typically : Let n be a positive integer. The base representation of has digits if , which is the case if or .The number of digits in the base b representation of n is therefore
In above equation the base changing logarithmic property has been used. So we calculate the logarithm of the number in that base which we want to calculate the number of digits. And take its floor value and then add 1.
This idea can be further used to find the number of digits of a given number n of base b in base r. All have to be done is to convert the number in base 10 and then apply the above formula of finding digits. It would be easier to calculate log of any base when number is in base 10.
The Number of digits of Number 1446 in base 7 is 4
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Given a number N in decimal base, find the sum of digits in any base B
- Find the Nth digit from right in base B of the given number in Decimal base
- C++ program to find all numbers less than n, which are palindromic in base 10 and base 2.
- Check if a given number can be represented in given a no. of digits in any base
- Check if the number is even or odd whose digits and base (radix) is given
- Add two integers of different base and represent sum in smaller base of the two
- Find most significant bit of a number X in base Y
- Find the length of factorial of a number in any given base
- Find the Largest N digit perfect square number in Base B
- Find the total count of numbers up to N digits in a given base B
- Convert from any base to decimal and vice versa
- Pandigital number in a given base
- Complement of a number with any base b
- Check if a N base number is Even or Odd
- Check if a number N starts with 1 in b-base
- Check whether a number has consecutive 0's in the given base or not
- Largest N digit number in Base B
- Number System and Base Conversions
- Largest value of x such that axx is N-digit number of base b
- Ternary number system or Base 3 numbers
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.